For Thanksgiving Matt and I went to Hawaii to see the Iowa State women's basketball team play in the Rainbow Wahine Tournament. We had an amazing time that I'll blog about this weekend. I promise. What I am going to write about is gay marriage in Iowa.
Today the Iowa Supreme Court hear arguments in the case of Varnum v. Brien. The verdict in the original case was for the plaintiffs and allowed same-sex couples in Iowa to legally marry. The judge in the case put a stay on his ruling until the case could be heard by the Iowa Supreme Court.
The ruling could go either way. If the judges uphold the verdict, Iowa would become the only state in the midwest to allow same-sex marriage. It would be difficult, but not impossible, for an amendment to be added to the state constitution. That would require the state legislature to approve the amendment for two consecutive terms and then a state vote. With the Democrats in control of the Iowa legislature, it would be tricky for an amendment to be passed. But with Governor Culver, you can never be too sure. I don't trust that man.
But with the possibility of marriage to Matt being so close, it does bring out the romantic in me. We've both decided that we will have a simple civil ceremony with just family and very close friends. The reception on the other had will have everyone invited. Matt will be in charge of the music (of course) and my main responsibility will be the cake. I kinda live for cake at a wedding. Hell, it's the only reason I go to most weddings.
I've been trying to come up with ideas for our first dance. Right now I'm leaning towards "At Last" by Etta James, but that could change tomorrow. I just want that one moment of Matt and I dancing together in each other's arms.
I really hope that it passes. It would be great to see this actually pass in a midwestern State.
ReplyDelete