There have been gay storylines on daytime soaps for quite some time. I never got into them because they simply weren't interesting to me, then came "One Life To Live". Last week I discovered the story of Kyle and Oliver that is currently playing out on the show. Oliver is a closeted member of the Llanview Police and Kyle is the guy that he had a relationship with in college, who is now back in his life. Over the past few months Oliver has struggled with his sexuality (and his relationship with "girlfriend" Layla). Things finally came to a head on this past Friday's show when Kyle kissed Oliver.
Any of my friends can testify that I have a HUGE weakness for cops, so this story arc really appeals to me. I can also relate to what the character is going through in his coming out process. In addition, the actor who plays Oliver, Scott Evans, is an openly gay actor. He also happens to be the younger brother of Chris Evans.
Of course now this means that I'm going to be taping OLTL every day to follow the story. Oh why does school have to start in a week and a half!
Pretty interesting. I hadn't heard anything about this but I may have to check it out a little more now.
ReplyDelete