Wednesday, July 9, 2014

4th of July in Vegas, Part 1

I've had a bit of writer's block over the past few weeks and I'm determined to break out of my slump.

Last weekend, Matt and I spent the 4th of July weekend in Las Vegas.

Enjoy!



Matt's birthday is July 5th. This year to celebrate we traveled to Las Vegas.

Under normal circumstances, Las Vegas in the summer and it's 100+ temps, would not be our first choice of vacation spots.

This was a special occasion, on the 5th we had the opportunity to see Olivia Newton-John in concert at the Flamingo Hotel.

Let me say for the record.....

THE SHOW WAS AMAZING!

Olivia is in residence at the "Donny & Marie Theater" at the Flamingo. It has a very Rat-Packy kinda vibe to it, and we loved it. It's a very intimate setting and for Olivia, it is a perfect concert venue.

The crowd skewed in one of two ways - older, or gay.  We kinda fell into both categories... lol.

There's something to be said for the stereotype that gays have a lot of disposable income, because the gays showed up in force and paid the big bucks for the "Meet and Greet" tickets ($249 each!).

We're frugal gays, the $99 seats were fine for us. :-)

The show felt like Olivia had invited 400 of her closest friends for an intimate concert. She looked and sounded amazing. Her voice is just as clear as it was when she began her career back in the early 70s.

We had smiles on our faces for the entire show. She sang selections from throughout her career. From "Have You Never Been Mellow" through her "Xanadu" days and then into the 80s. I was thrilled that she performed "Suddenly", a duet with Cliff Richards from "Xanadu".

I loved that she began performing a stripped down version of "Physical" and then stopped, "asked" the audience if they'd rather hear the original (DUH!) and then got down.

Another highlight was the "Grease" sing-a-long. The words to the songs were put up on video screens for the crowd to follow along with, but seriously, they weren't needed.

Before we knew it, Olivia was finishing up her show. :(

But overall we had a wonderful time and if you have the means and the opportunity, we HIGHLY recommend that you go!

My one tiny gripe was I had wished the gay in the front row wouldn't have kept yelling "WE LOVE YOU OLIVIA" after EVERY song.  Dude, we got it, you love her.

Following the show we had Matt's birthday dinner at Serendipity3 at Caesar's Palace. The food is delicious, but what you really go there for is the dessert.

Last November we fell in love with their Frrrozen Hot Chocolate. It's made from 23 different types of cocoa and is absolutely delicious.

From the first sip, it truly lives up to the hype.




Alright, it's time for me to get some sleep. I'll finish up my trip recap tomorrow.  But I'll leave you with a little Olivia.

Love you Awesome Nerds!


13 comments:

  1. WOW! happy birthday matt! and I have always liked that song. the movie, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect weekend. OLIVIA... OMG!!! I would love to see her live... so many hits. I can't to hear the rest. Did you win big??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the opportunity, take the family to Vegas and see her! It would be a great educational opportunity for Junior! :-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great birthday celebration was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The celebration was great. The rest of the trip..... (you'll just have to wait and see)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like Matt had a great Birthday weekend, and you enjoyed celebrating it with him!!!

    I would love to see Olivia - my partner, not so much. I argued we were seeing all the other divas this year, and so she fit right in... nah, not so much in his mind. That's ok... I still love him.

    We are doing Vegas starting Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drag him kicking and screaming if you have to! She's worth it! He will know the songs!

      When you are there, you HAVE to go to Serendipity3 for the frozen hot chocolate. Trust me, you will not be disappointed!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an awesome trip!!! WOOHOO!!!! And ONJ is very, very cool. Glad you got to see her in concert, wish I'd been there!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been busy downloading her music onto my ipod! It was a great show!

      Delete
  6. I was not a huge fan of Olivia back in her heyday -- although her songs were catchy -- but I adored her in SORDID LIVES, which could have been based on my own Texas family.
    And a belated happy happy to Matt.
    Glad you are back posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great trip! I'm not a huge Vegas fan, but sounds like you guys really like it. You'll remember this special weekend for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review. I'm echoing here but it sounds like a great trip for you guys. I've always liked her and her voice.

    ReplyDelete