Over the years I've become a bit jaded on commercials. There are the ones I love - that make sense, that are entertaining. And then, there are the ones that I HATE!
I'd like to share a few of the ones I can't stand, and why I can't stand them.
Dairy Queen - S'Mores
I hate Hipsters. Even more, I hate commercials that embrace Hipsters as somehow being cool. What gets under my skin even more is when they are singing the praises of a Dairy Queen blizzard.
REALLY?! Ugh
Breyer's Gelato
The kid's asleep, let's have our ice cream! Oh no, the kid woke up! We have to defend ourselves.
Be adults! Grow a pair and tell the kid to go to bed. Life ain't fair!
T-Mobile - Samsung Galaxy S5
BUY THE NEW GALAXY S5!
RUN DOWN ALLEYS! LAUGH HYSTERICALLY! PLAY THE TRUMPET! SHIMMY!
CHEST BUMP! SKYSURF! HOLD BURNING THINGS IN YOUR HAND!!!
PRETEND TO SUBWAY SURF!
YES! YOU CAN DO ALL THIS IF YOU OWN THE GALAXY S5!!!!
Really?! Make it stop. I think I hate this one most of all.
Can anyone explain the appeal of the two middle-aged dudes in the Sonic ads? Am I supposed to relate to them because -- OMG -- I am a bland middle-aged dude? Are young people supposed to want Sonic's garishly colored drinks and nutritionally treacherous food because two guys who look embarrassingly like their parents are praising the stuff? Is this an appeal to the non-hip? "Hey, there's a place for those of us who aren't lovin' the Mickey D and whatever its lame campaign-of-the-moment is?"
ReplyDeleteAnd don't get me started on ...
Oh I agree. The commercials were kinda funny at first, but over the years they've run them into the ground. Although I will say that a recent one that riffed on Star Wars actually made both me and the Hubby laugh out loud. But that was the first time with those ads. But yeah, totally agree with you!
DeleteI hadn't seen the DQ one before, and now I'll never be able to unsee it.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way as you about the gelato one. It's called PARENTING. Try it!
I may go buy that phone so I can run and skip. Not.
Well, watch some "Keeping Up With the Kardastrophes" or "Lindsay" and that should help get rid of the hipsters. LOL
DeleteWhy is everyone hate'n on hipsters? I'm a commercial critic too. I hate when they make parents, especially fathers, look like morons. I know it's supposed to be a parody but they just wind up being insulting to parents and the viewers.
ReplyDeleteOh hipsters. That's almost an entire post unto itself. LOL
DeleteThe Oscar Meyer ads with the dumb dad. Ugh. I think those ultimately send the message "Smart women, go out and find yourself a dumb guy to marry. And he doesn't even need to be good looking!"
I don't think there are any commercials on TV that I can stand. Having paid my salary for years, I am glad I can now ignore the dang things completely! And the ones I hate most? All the personal injury lawyers shilling for people to add to their class action suits so they can make 30-40% + expenses of any settlement and the true victims get almost nothing.
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
Here in Iowa we don't have too many personal injury ads. We visited the west coast a few times in the last couple of years and I don't understand how anyone actually finds out about new products because they seem to all be suing one another!
DeleteAmen! My husband was a lawyer and I worked for a while in a law office, and I appreciate the need for the legal profession. But I have this vague feeling that those personal injury pandering ads have contributed to the decline of the nation's spirit in some way. The pharma ads are less obnoxious, but I feel uncomfortable with those, too.
DeleteI think the pharma ads are just funny - "side effects may include death". I also appreciate the low testosterone / sexual dysfunction ads as I have a thing for older guys. :-)
DeleteBut I am so over the personal injury ads. If I need an attorney, I'm certainly not going to call one of those ambulance chasers.
http://youtu.be/NEjgrWzssvM
ReplyDeleteKaiser commercials drive me batty.
But it's Allison Janney doing the voice-over! LOL
DeleteAnd they believe all that with a premium price. :-)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI loathe the DQ ad, too...or anything with hipsters. It's as though marketers forget that people like me have money.
ReplyDelete