I was living in Tallahassee at the time and working as an assistant manager at a Sam Goody music store. Our store was on the second floor and to take the trash out we had to walk down a long exterior balcony to the trash shoot. One afternoon I had taken the trash out and was just standing on the balcony looking out over the forest area that surrounded the mall. It was early spring, the trees were a bright green (it was the south, they are ALWAYS green) and the humidity in the air was low.
Having graduated from Florida State the previous summer and not knowing what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I knew I needed to make a change. On that balcony I just had a feeling that I was going to be going to somewhere in the midwest. At the time I thought I'd be moving to somewhere in Kansas (don't ask me why).
A few weeks later my best friend from college called and asked me if I wanted to move up to Iowa with him and his fiance (her parents wouldn't let them live together and he needed a roommate). It's a move I have never regretted. I met the love of my life and have never been happier.
Tonight at Fareway, as I looked out I saw the trees and felt the air and was taken back to that day in Tallahassee when I knew I was meant to be in the midwest. Gotta love sense memory.
Isn't sense memory great? I have that sometimes too and it's amazing how powerful it is.
ReplyDelete