Matt and I were talking today about "The Real World" and how it is completely different from when it started back in the 1990s. I was in college when the first season debuted. It wasn't until grad school that I really started watching when the Los Angeles season was on. It was must watch television during the LA, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii and New Orleans seasons (I don't include London because let's be honest - it was sooooooo boring). There were issues and topics brought up on the show that we could relate to and the cast members actually had real lives.
Then came The Real World - Las Vegas. In one season the show became nothing more than a chance to show 7 strangers get sh*t-faced drunk and hook up with one another. This was a train-wreck of a season and, big surprise, it drew HUGE ratings. So of course, every subsequent season has an endless progression of drunks, sluts and douchebags who are brought together to do what they do best .... nothing.
I really miss those days when The Real World was interesting to watch. Now, it's a mess, and not even a hot mess, just a mess.
I still think that the Los Angeles season was the best.
ReplyDelete