The celebration actually started on Friday night. Andy, one of my best friends, is exactly one day older than I am. He was born on October 21, 1971, I was born on the 22nd. A group of us went out for a nice dinner at Christopher's restaurant down in Des Moines. We were actually lucky to get reservations for our party, about 16 of us. It seemed that every other nice restaurant in Des Moines was booked for birthday parties! A lot of people, evidently, share our birthdays (well, that's kind of a given).
To top off our evening, Christopher's treated Andy and I to dessert --- the Chocolate Fall Down Cake. Let me just say that it's not quite a cake and not quite a pudding, but it's ALL delicious. They serve it with a raspberry sauce and scoop of vanilla ice cream. I think they have to add the ice cream to cut the richness and sweetness of the cake itself. The cake was the perfect way to end the meal and the company was even better.
Saturday started out perfectly for me, with English Premier League soccer. I love watching the EPL and on Saturday mornings ESPN shows a match. This week it was Swansea City @ Wolverhampton. The score ended up in a draw at 2, but I loved every minute of it. I would love to go to the United Kingdom just to watch a few EPL matches in person. Matt and I spent the day lounging around the house as the birthday celebration was planned for the evening. It was a nice Saturday to watch college football, which was exactly what we did. Of course, we could only watch the first half of the Texas A&M - Iowa State game, as Iowa State is kinda terrible this year. They started out strong, but have now lost 4 straight games.
Matt did give me the best gifts. Sure, he got me the movie "Bad Teacher" on dvd and a book on the history of Florida State Seminole football (my alma mater). But what was touching was that he went all out to make sure that I had a truly memorable 40th birthday and the card he got me had me getting teary-eyed. It reminded me of how much he truly loves me and how lucky I am to have him in my life.
I see the cake...you are 40 and by the time you get to be my age you will be cursing that cake and thinking how fattening it is...you should enjoy your youth now. lol
ReplyDeletesaludos,
raulito
http://fromtop2bttm.blogspot.com/
Thanks so much for the advise. From everything that I ate over the birthday weekend and then the leftovers throughout the week, I kinda put on a few pounds. Ugh!
ReplyDelete