Monday, July 15, 2013

Just Keep Swimming


Today I had my very first swimming lesson.  

For the past two years I've been having trouble with my lower back.  In December of last year I was diagnosed with a bulging disc.  I've been in physical therapy off and on since then and have also been working with a personal trainer to lose weight (more on that later).

Swimming is a no-impact exercise that I thought would be a great way to take the pressure off my back. I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be easy.  I mean, it certainly looks easy enough when others are doing it.  

A coworker of mine, Kecia, offered to coach me on how to lap swim.  She met me today at the Ames Racquet and Fitness pool and was there when I hopped in for the first time.  She asked me to swim one lap so she could see how I swim.  MYLANTA it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I had not idea how to breathe.  There's a big difference between racing someone to the other end of a pool and actually swimming a lap.  

Kecia was very helpful and encouraging.  She took me through some exercises to help me improve my form and breathing.  I have homework over the next two weeks to swim as many days as I can.  Her last instructions to me were, "Just Keep Swimming".

It felt wonderful being in the pool.  Even though I was struggling, it just felt right.  I truly wished I had started this sooner.  Plus there was a really hot guy swimming in the lane next to me.  BONUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment