Monday, February 17, 2014

Thanks Mother Nature!

Last night I went to bed anticipating bad weather in the morning. Forecasts had us receiving freezing rain, followed by snow. All during the morning commute.

Now anytime there's even the possibility of a late start, I have trouble sleeping.  I don't know why, but I always seem to wake up about 2 in the morning and can't go back to sleep.

So last night, right on cue, BAM! I'm awake.

After drifting in and out of sleep, the text I was anticipating came - 2 hour late start. I could hear the rain falling on the roof, so I figured the roads were probably slick.

I reset my alarm and crawled back under the covers.

I was about one minute from getting out of bed when my phone chimed again - CLOSED! Evidently there were a number of bus drivers who could not make it into the city and visibility was horrible.

The funny thing is that once the system passed through around 10:30, the weather was beautiful! Temps in the 40s and a nice breeze. It did take me a while to get the driveway shoveled as the couple inches of snow that had fallen was pretty heavy, but it was a good workout.

Knowing that we'll have to make the day up, I still have to say that this was a welcome day off. I'm feeling recharged and ready to get back to work tomorrow.

But for now, back to watching "The Spy Who Loved Me" on cable.


8 comments:

  1. What a nice surprise! Especially for a Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was VERY nice to get an unexpected 3-day weekend. Just feeling the sun on my face was awesome!

      Delete
  2. We get that a lot here. "Delay". "Closed". It all has to do with the interactions of the multiple systems that feed our Governors Schools, some are urban, some rural and everything in between, and how well they can clear roads. Thankfully, about 95% of the time, they make a decision by 8PM, and if it changes, it's by 6:00AM, since most bus drivers have to be out there shortly thereafter. We also get the "it's fine by 10AM" stuff, but hey, one school bus on its side at 7 trumps clear roads at 10.

    I love the Bond movies. Thinking I need to buy them all and have a marathon!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given up trying to figure out when they will give us either a late start or a flat-out cancellation. Last week the temperature was -19 and we started on time.

      Matt is a huge James Bond fan, although he just can't buy Daniel Craig as Bond. We both have our favorites, but definitely "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Moonraker" are on the list. And yes, we know "Moonraker" was TERRIBLE. LOL

      Delete
  3. these perks never happen here, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice in Movie watching. :) We watched "Dead Man Down" on Netflix last night. It was a cool movie (kind of violent in beginning and end) with Colinn Farrel. It had a nice love story AND "REVENGE" to the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love snow days. But I don't miss them now!

    ReplyDelete