Friday, February 21, 2014

Under Armour's Kevin Plank

There's been a bit of controversy surrounding this year's U.S. Olympic Speed Skating team.  Under Armour and Lockheed Martin designed a "supersuit" that was supposed to give the U.S. team an advantage at this year's games.

Unfortunately, this year's team has laid the proverbial "egg".

The blame at first fell on the suits, but team members are now throwing shade at the U.S. Federation and the lack of continuity in training facilities.

I've always been a "fan" of Under Armour. Let's be honest, it's incredibly sexy on hot guys. I mean, have you seen this year's bobsled team - MUY CALIENTE!

This morning I read that instead of running from the controversy, Under Armour is doubling down - not only renewing their partnership with U.S. Speed Skating, but doubling their investment! Along with the article was a photo of the company founder and C.E.O., Kevin Plank.

I think I fell just a little bit in love.

He built the company from the ground up, designing a shirt that would his "sweat" issues. As a student at the University of Maryland he began a business of selling Valentine's Day roses and took that money to found Under Armour. He sent shirts to his friends from the football team who played in the NFL and the company grew from there.

Sure, he donates to Republican candidates - sigh (no one's perfect), but I just think he hasn't met the right guy yet.

Oh yeah, and he's only 41.






10 comments:

  1. My only problem with Under Armour is that it is very expensive underwear that basically performs no differently than other similarly constructed underwear.

    I have participated in many, many outdoor sports - caving, climbing, mountaineering, kayaking, and many others - alongside folks wearing "high performance" underwear (and outerwear), yet my "cheap" long johns, sweatshirts, pants, etc. have always at least matched or outdone the "premium" stuff. Under Armour included.

    Now, they sell hoodies, pants, shirts, etc., and perpetuate the idea that underwear should be worn outside the outerwear. Think "saggy pants". What I will concede to Mr. Plank (hot as he may be) is that he is a GENIUS in marketing, which as we all know, is all you have to be to make a fortune in the market today.

    I am certainly glad that he and his company are supporting our Olympics athletes! But this goes to show that just because you can throw money and sponsorship to a project, it's not necessarily the best way to go. Faster swimming suits not withstanding (which have now been banned), maybe being the fittest and thus the fastest makes far more of a difference!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under Armour is basically the Apple of the workout/underwear set. It's really cool and looks great, but it does the same thing as comparable lower priced gear.

      And yes, if money weren't a concern, I would totally buy the stuff. LOL

      Delete
    2. Full disclosure - I am an Apple addict. I'm drawn to an Apple store like a moth to a flame.

      Delete
  2. I do love me a sexy, self-made man. I can ignore the Republican side... for one night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do everything I could to change his mind. His Under Armour would look great..... on my floor. :-)

      Delete
  3. the problem with the Speed Skating team isn't the gear or the facility. The problem is they train at a much higher altitude than Sochi, so they move slower in Russia. The problem is, they didn't acclimatize to the Russian altitude. Closer to the Olympic date(s), they should have used facilities at comparable climbs.

    That said, the man is handsome, but the speed skating failure is hardly his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Very poor preparation from the coaching staff and association management. Hopefully that can fix the problems before Pyeongchang in 2018.

      Delete
  4. Someone needs to set him queer on his politics and then he might just be the perfect man!

    ReplyDelete