Saturday, October 22, 2011

14,610 Days

Today I hit the BIG 4-0.  I have to admit that it hasn't hit me the way I thought it would, but it's gonna take a little getting used to the idea that I'm now 40.  For me it's always been one of those ages that seemed so distant and now BOOM! it's here.

I did use the opportunity to "come out" to one of my classes.  One of my best friends sent flowers to the school for my birthday.  The kids started asking me who had sent the flowers and one asked if it was my wife.  This was the dialogue that followed....

Me: I don't have a wife.

Student: But you're married.

Me: Yup.

Student: But you don't have a wife.

Me: Nope.

It was at that point that I heard one of the students make a kind of "yelp" sound.  I knew that she had put it all together.  I think a few more of the kids realized what I was telling them, but for those that didn't get it, I told them to talk to the student who had figured it out and she would fill them in.

I pretty much left it at that and went on with my lesson plans for the class.  I teach math, so my sexuality isn't something that is going to be a part of my curriculum.  I'm just hoping that it's not a big deal to any parents.  I have to believe that majority of my kids won't care, but you never know about parents.  I just have a problem with my kids being led to believe that I have a wife when it simply isn't true.

I'll have more on the 40th birthday celebrations tomorrow.  But, some friends online gave me a visual present with photos of some of my favorites.....

Kelly Shoppach

Mike Napoli


and Pat Burrell




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! It's been a great day so far. I hope you've enjoyed your first week of being 40. :-)

    ReplyDelete