Today we took my Mom down to partake in an annual Iowa tradition - The Iowa State Fair. It's one of the largest in the country (along with Texas and Minnesota), but I think ours is taken the most seriously. And in all honesty, it's where one goes when one REALLY needs a boost to the self-ego. LOL
You truly see the broadest spectrum of people at the state fair, although it leans towards the "shallow" end of the gene pool. I also have to say that Iowa also most likely has the "obeseist" of the state fairs. Man is there a lot of junk in the trunk. But the food is so freaking good. Everything from Porkchop-On-A-Stick, gigantic Pork Tenderloins, to fried candy bars. There's even an "Iowa State Fair Food Finder" app for your smartphone. Oh yeah.
Usually there isn't a lot of eye candy to see at the fair, but today was different. I was finding a lot of yuminess, but as my friend Pete often says, "no pics, didn't happen." Damn, why didn't I take photos?!
As much as I rag on the Iowa State Fair, I truly love it. We go every year, see the same things, and go back again and again. It's tradition in this state and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Oh, and I was even able to renew my driver's license at the fair. My picture will look like crap, but no standing in line at the DMV!!! :-)
The Grand Concourse
Yes, we have a SkyLift
And of course tractors




spouse has a mini-deere (compared to those big boys, it's a mini).
ReplyDeleteonce, whilst visiting minneapolis, we went to the MN fair. OMB, if you can fry it, it was considered FOOD! but renewing your DL there...now that's interesting!
I always enjoy going to the fair. I don't care about the rides, so I walk around and shoot pictures of everything and every body.
ReplyDeleteIf you think the food is bad (good?) there, come to VA's state fair! If it can be fried, they fry it - Oreos, Twinkies, pickles (yummy!), turkey legs (if those things came off a turkey, I don't want to meet that bird in a dark alley at night!), pork chops, ice cream, you name it. Every serving is 1000 calories, and OMG IS IT GOOD!!!
Peace <3
Jay
Jay we have all those things you mentioned. :-) I soooooo wanted to get in line for the fried sweets, but alas, needed to give my arteries a break.
ReplyDeleteOh and I failed to mention that there is also..... fried butter. OH MY!