It's been a very unusual day - some great things and some very frustrating things.
I started off the day working out at the gym. Yup, Day 1 of the #FitIn14 Challenge was a success. I had a great elliptical workout while checking out some hotties in the weight room. It wasn't near as busy as I was thinking it was going to be, but that might have had to do with the fact that it was about 0 degrees outside (the low tonight is gonna be -8...yay).
Following my workout I FINALLY got to meet up with Paul. He and I became Facebook friends through a mutual acquaintance. He also lives in Ames and yet we still hadn't met up. Well, today was the day. :-)
Paul also works out at my gym and following my workout and his fitness class, we headed out for breakfast. It was a lot of fun getting to know him better and making a new "real world" friend. :-)
Next it was off to pick my Mom up to take her to get her Iowa Driver's License. Ugh.
From everything I had read online, all Mom had to do was take in her Florida DL, Social Security card and two pieces of documentation that she actually lives in Iowa.
No fuss. No muss.
No such luck.
The "helpful" lady at the DMV told us that she would also need copies of her birth certificate, marriage license and divorce decree. All of this is part of the "REAL ID" program started by Homeland Security. When you have all that stuff you get a "gold star" on your license.
Mom had done all of this when she got her Florida license, so you would think that it would just transfer, like a marriage license or property title. NOPE.
Florida verified her, and the Federal Government recognizes that... not Iowa. Double Ugh.
So now we have to go through stuff that she brought up with her from Florida. In the rush to get things packed up over the summer, it could be anywhere. At worst we'll need to send in for more copies of the stuff. Thank goodness her license is good until 2019.
After the DMV disaster, we had a nice lunch at Hy-Vee. I had the salad bar and was VERY good. Only salad and lean meats, dressing on the side, fruit. No potato or pasta salads or other bad stuff.
Then we headed over to Nevada (the town, not the state) to get license plates for Mom's car. This fortunately went much easier, so at least we got something done today.
More about my challenges tomorrow!

What a day... and there's more??? UGH!!! Poor Baby!!!
ReplyDeleteDMV is always a clusterf**k.
ReplyDeleteSorry you have such a bad experience at DMV. My 85-year-old mother in Texas was recently all agitated because she had to have all this documentation, most of which she could not find, but when she went to the office, things went very smoothly. Who can guess why? The last two experiences I had with DMV (here in Wisconsin and before that in Chicago) were very pleasant and speedy. What is sad is that I was so taken aback at how easy it was and how nice the people were. I had come to expect the worst, based on lots of past experience!
ReplyDeleteWhat a very "fun" day. The DMV... I've had two good experiences in my probably dozen visits to various offices over the years. I suppose that's better than zero.
ReplyDeleteI'd never heard of Nevada, Iowa. I love it.