Friday, January 3, 2014

The Best Laid Plans....

Warning - I just reread this post after writing it. I just needed to vent about my day. The world didn't end and everyone is fine. I'm grateful for the opportunity to just write and release it. 




Today was my last official day of winter break. On Monday, tentatively, we head back to work. I say "tentatively" because the weather on Monday is forecast to be WICKED cold.  Not as cold as Minnesota, where the governor has already cancelled school that day, but still pretty damned cold. We're expecting wind chill temps between -30 and -50 (Fahrenheit), so it wouldn't surprise me if school were delayed or flat out canceled.

My plan for the day had me getting up early to go workout and then head in to school to work on prepping my classroom for Monday and then meeting with the other math teachers in my department to plan out our next two weeks of class. We're piloting two math series that we are looking at purchasing for next year.

Once my meeting was over, my plan was to check on my Mom, who had dental work today and then spend the afternoon working on grading some papers. Matt would come home and make stroganoff for dinner and all would be right with the world.

At least, that was the plan.....

My alarm went off at 5:15 and when my alarm actually wakes me up, it's not good. I was exhausted. After wrestling with my conscious, I made the decision to go back to sleep. I'd make up the workout in the afternoon.

I woke up a couple of hours later feeling a bit less exhausted but at least functional. After grabbing a quick shower, it was off to school for a productive meeting. Seriously, it was productive!

Then, my phone rang - it was Mom. Her car wouldn't start and could I give her a lift to the dentist. Of course I said I would. After the appointment, she asked if we could run a couple of errands - sure.

Knowing we needed to get her car running, we called for a tow truck to take it to our mechanic (trying to jump start a frozen battery is not a good idea). They told her that it would be about 2 hours until they could get to it.  Ok. This gave me the opportunity to run back to school and finish a few things.

Let me stress that I love my Mom and would do anything for her. It was just that I really wanted today to be about me.

It's okay to be selfish once in a while, right?

I got done at school and went back to my Mom's place and we waited, and waited, and waited. Mom finally suggested she try to start the car again. Well, whadda ya know, it started. We immediately took it to the mechanic to have him look at it. It turned out the battery was bad and needed to be replaced.

As I type this, I realize that I am glad that I was able to be there for her and help her in her hour of need.

I finally rolled home at 5:00, exhausted. I didn't make it to the gym and the papers are still sitting ungraded.

Matt did make a wonderful dinner.

I've still got the weekend to get things for Monday done. I'm heading to bed now. Tomorrow is another day.

15 comments:

  1. My day was OK. My tomorrow is sh!t. The guy I was going to DC with for the day cancelled at 9:45PM. I was really looking forward to this - not the guy, the trip. But now it's a no go because this idiot turned a dead cell phone into an entire day of drama and got no school work done (he teaches, too). So no trip for me. Can't even find a "date" for a local trip. I thought I might have a good day with a friend. Now it's all me - as usual. Damn I'm lonely. I had leftover pizza for dinner. Now I'm into the second bottle of wine. Sorry for venting.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay if I were there I would go with you. Sigh. I love Washington D.C. and go every time I have the opportunity. I'll be taking a group of students there this summer.

      And no problem with venting. My rule is that if I'm allowed to vent, then you're allowed to vent. :-) I hope the hangover wasn't too bad this morning (or was it only white wine?).

      Hugs from Iowa,
      Robert

      Delete
  2. No need to apologize... it's your blog, you can do whatever you want. ;-) We all need to vent every now and then. Now don't you feel better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I do, but then there's the inevitable guilt over what I wrote. If you've ever seen "You've Got Mail", I completely relate when Meg Ryan's character talks about having the perfect comeback comment and then regrets having said it. I'm the same way. I get the vent out and then feel awkward about having done it.

      But a good night's sleep did help a lot. :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you put that disclaimer at the beginning....we have very different definitions of rant. :) With all the bad weather and extreme cold do you have any backup plans for working out at home? Maybe you could get a bike trainer converter, you put your bike on this frame and converts it to a stationary bike. They're inexpensive and don't take up much room. You could play your tunes and play some "inspirational" dvds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought about the bike trainer. I'll look into that. :-) My trainer has even mentioned buying a couple of low cost stretching dvds that I could do when I got home. I wonder if Atlas Men makes something like that. Hmmmm.

      Oh and believe me, if I really get worked up enough (and it seriously takes a lot to really upset me), I will freakin GO OFF! LOL

      But again, it takes a lot to really piss me off.

      Have a great weekend!
      Robert

      Delete
  4. Glad it worked out alright, but yeah it sure would have been nicer if it had been all about you. Your day will come (and hopefully you won't sleep through it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good night's sleep was definitely in order. But, I know I overslept and haven't drunk enough water because I woke up with a headache. Ugh. LOL First thing was to drink a big tall glass of water.

      Have a great weekend!
      Robert

      Delete
  5. Murphy's Law Day, I think.

    But you made it through so that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very Murphy's Law. LOL I did make it through and no one was hurt in the process. Today is another day. :-)

      And I'm hopeful as well that Justine has retired. My 7th graders can't stand him. When he's lost the middle school crowd, it's over. :-)

      Delete
  6. As MAC noted, it's your blog. Do what you need to do with it! You may think you are making it all about you, but most likely we your readers are just thinking, "Yeah! I had that same stinking day! Grrrr!" Thus we make it all about ourselves!

    On a slightly related note, I used to write angry -- okay,self-righteous -- comments on some of the more political blogs I read. I never post these things any more, and I realize these days I don't even finish writing them. Just getting the first few sentences out makes me realize I have nothing to add to that conversation and that I am just stirring myself up. It's all heat and no light. So I cancel the comment, take a breath and go read something that doesn't get me upset -- something like Welcome to the Middle Ages!

    We are expecting a low -- real temp, not wind chill -- of 25 below tomorrow (Sunday) night and a high of 13 or 14 below on Monday. Most schools have already been cancelled. Tom and I are going grocery shopping this morning to lay in a supply of necessities. I will download a bunch of books to my Nook and my Kindle and settle in for a snuggle.

    One final note, inspired by Sean (love The Jeep Guy, BTW): I have a stationary bike and put in about an hour on it over the course of the day -- 20 minutes as part of my early morning routine and then 10 minute sessions several times during the day when I take a break from other things. By itself, of course, that is not a balanced exercise program, but it can be a good backup for those days you can't do your total total. And it is good for the weight loss. Be sure to record how much time you put into it.

    Love and peace and warmth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the pick-me-up. I really appreciate it. :-)

      I never post on political blogs. Heck, I don't even post political stuff on facebook anymore. Just not worth the headaches. Matt and I vent to each other and to our close friends who feel the same way.

      Matt stocked up with groceries a few days ago, but I think I'm going to go get the stuff to make lasagna tomorrow night. It's a goal of ours to eat at home 5 nights each week and NOT eat out so much. Some school districts have already cancelled here, but I imagine Ames will wait until the last minute. I joke with my coworkers and students that I refer to them as "Credit Card Days" - buy now, pay later. Sure we get the day off now, but we gotta make it up at the end of the year. Ugh.

      Thanks for the home fitness tip. :-) It really is all about motivation and how badly I want this for myself. If I want it, then I WILL make it happen.

      Stay warm! Hugs!
      Robert

      Delete
  7. Haven't seen anything from you for a few days. Hope you survived the weather! Today it is actually above zero and we should be in the upper 30s this weekend. Then another dip ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new post is coming soon. I've been very busy the past few days. But it's been a good kind of busy. :-)

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear it. Stay cool ... er, whatever.

      Delete