Tonight I deactivated my Facebook account.It ended not with a bang, but a whimper.
I had been thinking about doing it for a while. After 7 years I just realized that I was spending way too much time looking at it, posting, liking, replying, etc.
I need my life back.
I'll still blog and tweet. I gotta stay connected a little bit. teehee
I'm sure I'll get emails from the fine servers at Facebook asking me to comeback. Maybe someday I will, but it won't be for a while. For now, people will just have to reach me the old fashioned way - by email.Or Heaven-forbid..... CALL ME!
I had to give up Facebook & Twitter for the same reason. I have an addictive nature when it comes to social media. I don't miss Facebook, but I do miss Tweeting. I'm happy with my lil' ol' blog.
ReplyDeleteI'm still on Twitter. Much less stress using that service. ;-)
DeleteI've never had an FB or a twit account; I don't think I have missed anything.
ReplyDeleteI will keep my blog. and I still use e-mail and telephone. and snail mail!
Kickin it old school. :-)
DeleteI've only really had a FB account to learn how it works and to keep current with technology, ditto InstaGram (which I don't like). I have twitter mostly for the same reason but also to promote the blog and then for emergencies.
ReplyDeleteIf you are in an emergency situation. I was at the mall b4 Xmas when they thought there was a shooting and I was caught in a flood of people fleeing the mall - the panic had carried all the way from one end of the mall to opposite side where I was. I logged into twitter and trending in my area - and that's how I knew what had happened. This also connected me to the local police and news feeds. It was very comforting as 5 helicopters flew over head to know that it was just a display case falling over in Macy's.
Why does everyone quit FB rather than just cut back? Is it like booze and you can only go cold turkey?
I do have Twitter and my cell has updates from local news sources, etc.
DeleteI know I have an addictive personality. I stopped drinking soda "cold turkey" and have been clean for 5 years. People would ask, "well why don't you just drink 'diet' cola, etc.?" That's like a gateway drug for me. I don't miss the taste now, but occasionally miss the feeling in the back of my throat of the cold bubbles.
I just realized that I was becoming too much of a "slave" to it. Who's posted? Did someone reply to my reply? Should I like it or not?
Even today I'm finding that I'm wanting to go there, even though my account is deactivated. The first couple of weeks will be tough, but I think I'll make it. :-)
I quit my FB some years back, after I had dumped Twitter. Of course, that means my nephew, nieces and spouse never communicate with me, although I didn't consider a post to social media a personal communication anyway, old grump that I am. Tom has an FB account to keep track somewhat of his adult children, so when he sees one of my family post something he thinks I need to know about, he shows it to me. Some of them just posted things I found very irritating as did lots of their friends. It wasn't worth skimming through hate to find something I wanted or needed to know.
ReplyDeleteMatt's never had FB and he's sworn he never will. I have to admit that even as the day has gone along, I haven't missed it all that much.
DeleteSmall steps.
I don't know that I spend too much time on FB. I enjoy catching up with old friends, many of whom I've known since I was a teen. I pretty much ignore the commercial stuff, and most other "pages", apart from a few gay news sites. So who knows.
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
I'm really finding it interesting how different people handle Facebook. I just got so wrapped up in it that I really felt like it was hurting me socially. Maybe at some point I'll have enough self-control to go back and use it moderately.
Delete