Thursday, February 13, 2014

Lies, Damned Lies......

and STATISTICS!!!!

This semester I am taking Statistics through the local community college. I'm doing it primarily to add a couple of endorsements to my teaching license. Last year I took Trigonometry online and fought my way through to an 'A'.
Do I really need a reason to post a photo of
Chris Hemsworth?  

It's a personal thing for me, but I'm a math teacher, so anything less than an 'A' in a college math class is just not acceptable.

I chose to take Stats as an actual class because of my experience with trig. I wanted to make sure that I had an actual teacher who would be available to answer questions.

In college, I failed Stats.

Yup. You read that correctly. The math teacher failed a math class in college.

But in all honesty, when I took the class in college I was a freshman and I was an idiot.  I thought I could just show up and not bother opening the textbook or even study.

I decided that it was time to get this monkey off of my back.

I gotta admit, I'm enjoying it! Maybe it's the 20 years of teaching math experience, but the subject material seems easier this time around. We took our first exam earlier this week and I'm pretty confident that I nailed it.

So here's hoping the good fortune continues.


On a completely unrelated subject, I love this commercial....


17 comments:

  1. Statistics, Hemsworth & Target... quite an eclectic post today.

    ... and no you don't need a reason to post Chris, YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the strangest "$25,000 Pyramid" category clues ever....

      Um... Statistics, Hemsworth, Target

      THINGS YOU WOULD FIND ON A ROBERT BLOG POST!!!

      DING!

      Delete
  2. Good luck.
    I excelled at math classes all through school and college--which I found odd, because I loathed all the classes-- but when it came to Statistics, I really, really struggled.
    That had to have been my least favorite class I've every taken anywhere ever.
    Oy.
    I'm getting tense just remembering it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathe in, breathe out. LOL You'll be fine. teehee

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Happy Valentine's Day to you as well. Muah!

      (Full disclosure - I have a bit of a crush on Mr. BrettCajun)

      "Why do good girls like bad boys?"

      Delete
  4. As noted by others, no excuses needed for Mr. Hemsworth. Ever.

    A happy Valentine's Day to you! It is statistically certain that you will smile at some point today.

    Well, maybe not statistically certain ... I'm a language person, what do I know about math?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours as well Michael. I will never, EVER, claim to be a language person. A high school teacher of mine once told me that I used more unnecessary commas than there were Christmas cards mailed that year in the US! LOL

      Delete
  5. I think everybody does poorly in stats, at least the first time. Statistics is super-useful, but in my experience it is also super-unintuitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an AMAZING professor. He's actually an economics professor who tells some great stories that relate to the concepts being discussed. Makes it very real. :-)

      So glad you found the blog! Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I took Calculus and Physics 15 years after graduating college just because I wanted to. I spent the first 6 or 7 weeks with a friend who taught AP Calc tutoring me on the algebra and trig I'd forgotten, and then catching up the Calc I missed in class. I took 3 semesters, through multi-variant, and averaged a B. Not bad for an old man! HAHAHA

    Good luck, sounds like you're acing it.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! I'm not sure if I'll go further. To get my secondary math endorsement, I would need to take calculus, abstract algebra, and some other higher end courses. Not sure if I wanna go to that much trouble. :-)

      Delete
  7. I admire you for taking college classes after 40. I don't think I could do it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm certainly either the oldest or second oldest in the class. At times the professor will make the occasional comment that only I will chuckle at. Good humor is wasted on the youth.

      Delete
  8. Statistics is very important yet difficult to understand and even more so to get properly. I wish you luck on this. It was the most boring part of medical school, after interstitial fluids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been "easy" so far. Crossing my fingers it stays that way. LOL

      Interstitial fluids?! OMG that would be a dream class!
      ...Said no one ever. LOL

      But I do admire your ability to get through it and complete medical school!

      Delete