Wednesday, February 12, 2014

TMI - The Winter Olympics

Special thanks to Sean for posting his consistently excellent questions.  I love answering these!!!

THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES

1. In general (we'll get to the politics in a few) do you watch the Winter Olympics?

I've always loved the Olympics - always have, always will. So yes, I do watch them. Now I do continue to have a plethora of gripes with the way NBC covers them, but I've been happier with how they are showing events live during the day and then showing highlights at night.  They're finally understanding that people are gonna find out what happened 10 hours ago and STILL watch at night. 

2. Winter or Summer?

Honestly, I love em both. During the Summer Olympics there is so much to see and since I'm usually on summer vacation, I can watch to my heart's content. The winter games provide fewer events but since I'm teaching I can focus better. Plus the winter games have - bobsled, luge and skeleton - three events with the sexiest of competitors.

3. What are your favorite winter events? Do you follow any of them outside the game?

As much as I love the sledding sports (well, the athletes), the one sport that I get wrapped up in is curling.  There's so much strategy involved and a match can get incredibly tense. And well, the athletes aren't bad to look at, plus have you seen 
The Norwegian team showing off a little leg. 
the Norwegian team's pants!

4. Which sport needs to stay and which one needs to go?

Actually, I'm okay with all the sports that are in the winter olympics, even the newer "extreme" sports. The one that frustrates me is figure skating. I just don't understand the judging criteria. You think you see a great performance and then the scores come up and HUH?!

5. Which is the weirdest sport?

Two-man luge.  Yeah, I'm gonna say it, it looks a little gay.  But I still enjoy watching it. :-)






6. What is your POV on boycotting The Olympics by countries and or athletes?

I think Russia is reaping what they have sown. Because of the bad publicity and political turmoil, it's been fairly obvious that people just aren't traveling there. It's been rumored that Russia spent $50 BILLION dollars on these game. I would like to see the IOC not just look at dollar signs and really look at countries that are able to host the Olympics not only successfully in terms of the games, but also fiscally responsible.

7. Are you boycotting NBC or any Olympic sponsors?

Other than really not watching NBC's evening coverage, I haven't really made a point to boycott anything. 

8. Do you think boycotts are effective?

I really hate the term boycott as it makes me think of bullying. We don't like what you do, so we're going to organize against you. Present the information. If people don't like it, they'll make the decision on their own to either support that business or not. I feel like when an organized boycott is organized that it only serves to galvanize the opposition (i.e. Chick-fil-A). 

9. If you were an athlete what would you do?

The U.S. Men's Bobsled team - preferably in a group setting. 

3 comments:

  1. On a side note, did you see that the Norwegian curling team posed pantsless (NOT naked) in response to snarky remarks about those crazy slacks? Gotta love guys who refuse to take even the Olympics too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID! :-)

      I edited my post to put that photo on there -- totes adorbs. :-) I also found the company that created the pants - Loudmouth.com. I think I may have to order some shorts from there.

      Delete
  2. Love the answers. Mine will go up in the morning.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete