Thursday, January 23, 2014

Polar Vortex 2 - Electric Boogaloo

I've lived in Iowa for 18 years and this is the first time I can remember thinking - I'm really sick of winter.

Just over it.

The winter of 1995 was exceptionally cold. I was young and stupid. I thought, "if this is the worst this state can throw at me, I'm good."

So naive. So dumb.

I feel like this winter has just kicked me in the nether regions and keeps coming back for more.

Everything aches. My hands and feet are in a perpetual state of numbness from the cold. It often feels like I'm breathing ice water.

This morning the temperature hovered around -11 and honestly, I don't know if it even got up to 0. Our district had a two-hour late start because of the cold. I was hoping and praying for them to just call the day off.

No such luck.

I was so ready to just have a day where I could do a little catching up on paperwork while in my grubbies.

Nope.  Not today.

And to add that cherry on top, the kids were, um, "ripe". That's the thing about middle school kids - hygiene is a tertiary concern.

I'm going to be out of class tomorrow as the math department is doing observations in another district of math curriculum that we are looking at adopting.  Tonight, it's my statistics class.

And all I want is to be somewhere warm.


4 comments:

  1. It's been cold here, too (for Virginia), and while it didn't bother me the first time around, it bothered me this time. This getting old crap is for the birds!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel for you. But 18 years? You're a stronger man than I. I would have moved after the first Iowa winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Sunday night through Tuesday it is not supposed to get above zero here. And we may have one night of 22 below again! This Texas-raised boy is not used to it, despite having lived in the frigid zones for most of my adult life. Tom grew up with this weather, working on a farm (the land where we live now) and going out to cope with cows in the subzero mornings. He is not impressed by my whining. At least he goes out now and deals with snow removal and does not expect me to know how to do any of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree. These sub-zero temperatures are terrible. I'm thinking about more temperate climates!

    ReplyDelete