Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mother Nature is One Crazy B.....

Yesterday I heaped loads of praise on Mother Nature for bestowing enough snow and ice to cause our school district to cancel school.  Following the cancellation, the sun came out as did the warmth. It was absolutely beautiful and today was even better! The high today was in the 50s and I'm seeing college kids walking around in t-shirts and shorts!

Well Miss Thang must be on one because her mood is changing quickly.

When I went to bed last night the forecast was for some light showers on Thursday morning.  Nothing bad, just a little rain.

Oh what a difference a few hours can make.

The reason Thursday is of concern to me is that is the day I take a group of students down to Des Moines for a math competition.  These kids have prepared all year for this and I have a really good group.  Thursday is our regional competition which will determine which of our kids advance to the state finals in March.

This morning one of my co-workers asked me if we still were going on Thursday.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, we're gonna have a blizzard on Thursday," she replied.

And with that statement my day began its slow decent to hell in a fabulously decorated hand-basket.

We are now forecast to get about 6 inches of snow in the morning on Thursday followed by 50 m.p.h. winds which will create blizzard condition.  Not even blizzard-like, we're talking full on BLIZZARD!

A lot of variables are in play. If we delay or cancel school, but the competition is still on, we can't go because the district would be liable for any injuries if we got into an accident.  Parents could take their kids if they wanted to on their own.

What sucks is if the competition is postponed. More than likely it would be rescheduled for February 28th, one of our scheduled days off. Next week is parent-teacher conference week and for putting in the extra hours, we get Thursday afternoon and Friday off. I had already made some preliminary plans for that day - workout with my trainer, massage from a hunky masseur (get your mind out of the gutter CB!).

Trust me, I get that if we cancel school tomorrow that I will have the day off. It's just that I can't DO anything on that day off because of the weather. More than likely I'll end up shoveling the driveway (probably twice) and watching House Hunters on HGTV.

I'll get over this and take my kids down to the competition and be a supportive coach. I just need to let the stew for a little bit. I bitch and moan, but in the end do what's best for my students.

It just always bugs me at first when my plans are changed. Oh wait, I think I've sung this tune before. LOL

Love you awesome nerds,
Robert


10 comments:

  1. The weather is crazy here, too.
    After last week's snow and ice storms over four days, today was 70 and tomorrow will be close to eighty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 would be dreamy! Just walking outside today felt like a heat wave and it was only 50! I WILL NOT complain about it getting too warm this summer. :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Would you be interested in coming down to help me shovel? LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm confused. Today is Tuesday, you will have school tomorrow, Wednesday, right?

    Great blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will have school on Wednesday (tomorrow) and we should have great weather. Things go south early Thursday morning which will more than likely affect school and the math competition.

      Ah winter in the Midwest - never a dull moment.

      Delete
  4. This has been the strangest winter I can remember. Be safe with the coming blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. alas i miss it all, living as I do in AZ; I truly miss proper winters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were supposed to have wintry mix turning to snow today. So far, just a bit of sleet and rain. We'll see what happens. Tom is supposed to go out of town to give a talk about 90 miles away this afternoon. Still wondering if he can get there ... or get back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet there's a hunky masseur out there who would have made a snow-day house-call!

    ReplyDelete