Saturday, March 22, 2014

Wasatch Mountain High


At the top of the Bobsled run
Back in 2000, Matt and I traveled to Orlando for my brother’s wedding. While in central Florida, we took time to go to Universal Studio’s Islands of Adventure (current home of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter). While Matt rode the Dueling Dragons roller coaster (over and over and over), I took the opportunity to meet with one of the resident psychics, Madame Pashmina (well, that’s what I called her).

I went in thinking it was gonna be a bunch of hooey, but I was stunned at how accurate she was – my relationship with Matt, my not-so-great relationship with my Dad, and so on. During the reading she began to focus on me moving somewhere I could see mountains. I found this pretty funny as in Iowa we really don’t have mountains, and I honestly couldn’t see myself living in a mountainous area.

Just a view from Main Street
That was until I discovered Park City, Utah.

In grad school my very best friend was Jenn. She was my first “Grace”. I didn’t come out until the end of grad school, but she was such a huge support for me. After graduation, I eventually moved to Iowa and she back to Utah. I was supposed to go to her wedding in 1998, but couldn’t because of the death of my grandmother.

Close to 20 years later, I took her up on her open invitation to visit her in Park City.

I flew out on Friday, but because of delays, didn’t actually arrive in Salt Lake City until Saturday morning.  The drive up to Park City was beautiful as you leave Salt Lake for a short drive up a canyon road (Interstate 80). There was still quite a bit of snow on the mountains and it was tricky to keep my eyes on the road with the spectacular scenery all around me.

Forced perspective, the ski jump
doesn't actually land on the Wal-Mart
Supercenter
Jenn’s house is on the outskirts of Park City and you can actually see Utah Olympic Park from her upstairs windows. U.O.P. hosted the ski jumping, skeleton, luge and bobsled events during the 2002 Winter Olympics. We had the opportunity to tour the park and I loved every minute of it. I’m a huge fan of the Olympics and the chance to stand at the top of the ski jump and see the sliding track was a thrill.

The Great Salt Lake. Sorry no photos
of hot cyclists. 
We also took time to see the Great Salt Lake. It was beautiful and I was amazed at nature’s beauty. Plus there were some hot cyclists out riding – nothing like beefy legs in spandex.

But I digress.

At the base of the mountain at PCMR
My favorite part of the trip
My favorite part of the trip was sitting at the lodge of Park City Mountain Resort. I was able to watch skiers and snowboarders coming down the mountain. It was a beautiful, sunny day and I was at peace. It was calmest that I had been in quite some time, and honestly, I didn’t want it to end.

Alas, all good things must come to an end, and I returned to Ames on Thursday. School starts back on Monday and I feel my batteries have been recharged for the stretch run.

Love you awesome nerds.

Robert

Oh yeah, my new undergarments
are really itchy. ;-)

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend spring break! That's a beautiful area.

    I got to visit Lake Placid, NY in 1980-something. Just after the Olympics there. I remember standing in the bobsled and luge runs, and at the top of the ski jump. Pretty cool.

    Sounds like the trip was exactly what you needed! Hope the return to school is smooth.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great trip. I'm spending today getting things ready for school. Ah back to reality.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and I want pictures of those new undergarments!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing trip... thanks for sharing the pics.

    Back to the Real World! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first time in Utah won't be my last. Plus there were some really good looking guys there. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I've driven through there once or twice on my way out of, or back to, California and you're right about the views; it's hard to keep your eyes on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? No shots of you going DOWN the bobsled run??? That would really make your underwear itch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cost close to $300 to go down the bobsled run, so I took a pass. lol Now if I could have only gone down on a bobsledder or two. :-D

      Delete
  6. The first time I was in the Rockies, I was glad I wasn't driving and got to stare. Mountains are amazing, especially for those of us who grew up with only gently rolling hills or plains. It is easy to see why they are associated with religions just about everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! Sounds like a wonderful break. Spring Break in the Dells is next week, which means I can take some time off and head to Texas to see family. My Christmas trip was cancelled by icy weather. I am HOPING that won't happen this time.

    ReplyDelete