Monday, June 2, 2014

PRIDE CHALLENGE 2014!!! -- THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

I'm showing my support for my good friend Kelly at Rambling Along In Life.. by changing my blog for a more Prideful motif.

But I have to admit - I'm not the most "Pride"ful person.

I've never been to a Pride celebration, and in all honesty, I don't have a desire to go.

I'm happy that there are festivities where people can go to celebrate, but I just don't have an interest in going.  It's just not my thing.

For those of you who do go, have a blast and celebrate, celebrate, celebrate.

Be safe and...

Make Good Choices. :)

9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you can know if it's "not your thing" if you've never been. Everyone experiences it differently and opinions about how needed or necessary or embarrassing Pride parades and events are like assholes - everyone has one. I 110% guarantee that if and when you go you will not regret it. You may decide it's not something you need to do again but you'll be glad you had the experience. If nothing else, you'll have spent some time with your husband and mane a few friends. We always had a big brunch to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point Sean. The hubby has been to Pride festivals before and has no desire to go. I may drop in this weekend to see what it is like.

      Delete
  2. Oh...and you get to check off that box on your gay card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You're absolutely welcome. Happy to do it. :-)

      Delete
  4. I sort of know what you mean, Robert. I didn't go to Virginia's (re: Richmond's) Pride for a long time. I think fear of what I might see kept me away. There's so many pictures out there of near-naked men and boys prancing around that I had to stop and think if I wanted to be associated with that presentation of being gay. I still don't understand why, when we want "everybody else" to look upon us as "normal people", we stand for parades and gatherings allow for that nonsense. Drag queens I get. Guys in their underwear in public, I don't. That being said, I did get up enough nerve to go two years ago (2012). Surprise, surprise! Virginia Pride wasn't anything like those others at all. Yeah, drag queens and DJs, but also a Republican booth, and J.D. Wong (stumping for the Democrats). I made some new friends, hooked up with ROSMY, and discovered that maybe there is an advantage to a Pride celebration in a little more subdued manner. Last year, I sold RainbowRVA stickers to support ROSMY, ran into LOTS of friends I'd made over the previous year, and even ran into one of my former scouts and his family, all there as allies of the LGBTQ community. Another outing! HAHAHAHA

    So that's my experience with Pride. I'll be going again this year, trying to get rid of the rest of the RainbowRVA stickers so I can donate to ROSMY again. And I'll see even more people I know, including at least one of the drag queens whom I met at the Prom when she came to perform for us. This year, it's on Browns Island, a MUCH nicer venue than in years past, so it should be bigger and better. I hope so, it's been fun so far!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never been to a Pride either. I would like to go once just to check it off my list but honestly, parades and alike have never been my thing. Still I know I would have a good time just taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete