Wow! It's been a week since my last blog post?! How did that happen?
Taking part in Jim's "Pic A Day In May" Challenge prompted me to blog every day. Since I'm not doing that, the motivation has dropped off a bit.
Plus I've just been tired since school has ended, but semi-busy.
You'll allow me to post a few photos from my tumblr feed.
I've only had tumblr for a few months, but suddenly I realized that I've "hearted" close to 3,500 photos. Whoa! So I thought I'd post a few as I recap everything that's been going on as of late.
Since school ended last week, I'm focusing more on technology for next year. Thursday and Friday were devoted to professional development in preparation for our school going one-to-one next year. This means that every student will have a computer to use.
I'm very excited about this, but now the hard work begins of figuring out HOW to use that technology effectively in class. In addition to last week's professional development, I'm also taking part in a summer long online tech workshop.
I'm finding that I am quickly becoming overwhelmed with all the possibilities of things that I can do, not to mention lots of new acronyms (SAMR, TPACK, etc) that my mind is swimming. I need to keep reminding myself that the first year of one-to-one should be more of a "toes in the water" experience.
Usually my first week off from school is my "lazy week". The week where I do NOTHING and just veg-out.
Not this year. lol
On Monday and Tuesday we had the siding on our house replaced. The old siding was original to the house (I think), so it was definitely time for a change.
After two days of construction, the guys finished up and both the hubby and I agreed, it the house looks amazing. It was like we bought a brand-new house and it was already furnished with our favorite things (including gay porn!).
Now we just wait for the bill..... gulp.
Unfortunately, none of the guys working on the house was worth covertly photographing.
Que sera, que sera.
Now Monday was also the beginning of what I'm now calling my "week of mini-crises".
Follow me on this.....
In Iowa, I presently hold two endorsements on my teaching license - World History 5-12 and Middle School Generalist.
The Middle School Endorsement allows me to teach any of the four core subject - math, science, social studies or language arts. In 2010, the state modified the endorsement so that a teacher would "specialize" in two content areas.
This fall, I am hoping to teach Algebra. To be able to do that, I need to hold the Algebra 5-8 endorsement. Getting THAT endorsement requires me to hold the Middle School Math endorsement (the new 2010 modification).
I realized that I needed to take 1 math class to get the requirements for the M.S. Math endorsement, so I took Statistics. Now I was ready to apply for the license upgrade.
Monday morning I called the state to verify I had met all the requirements. The gentleman I spoke with asked me if I had taken an adolescent reading class.
Uh, a what?
As part of the 2010 modification, the state added a requirement that all teachers getting a Middle School endorsement take a class in adolescent literacy. This I had not done.
Of course the woman I would need to speak with would be gone until Thursday. I knew if I couldn't get the endorsement that I wouldn't be able to teach Algebra in the fall and I would be crushed.
Finally on Thursday I spoke with perhaps the friendliest state employee EVER. And I'm serious about this - she was awesome!
She told me that while I would need to take the class, that I could obtain a conditional endorsement that will cover me until the class is finished.
Mini-crisis averted.
But I still won't sleep completely at ease until I have that conditional license in my hands.
Needless-to-say my boss was happy that I had done my homework and come up with a solution now, as opposed to showing up in August and saying, "um, yeah, I don't have the endorsement."
That would not be good.
My second "mini-crisis" occurred yesterday.
This upcoming Tuesday, I leave for Washington D.C. with 12 students. As part of the trip we are getting t-shirts and Friday I went to pick them up.
Well, turns out the agent put in for 2 larges instead of 2 EXTRA larges as I had ordered.
I was panicked as one of the girls on the trip had ordered an extra-large (she is a larger girl). I was internally freaking out because I know she is sensitive about her weight and didn't want her to feel self-conscious about wearing a shirt that was too small.
Fortunately I had ordered an XXL for me. So if the printer can't get us a replacement shirt by Monday, I can give her my shirt and I'll just wear a regular shirt on our "t-shirt" day in D.C.
Mini-Crisis 2 averted.
But on a positive note, the World Cup has started!!!!!
I'm a happy boy.
I LOVE the World Cup.
On Thursday I watched the opening match, Brazil v. Croatia, at a local bar/restaurant that is the hangout for the Brazilian population here in Ames.
OMG were they loud and boisterous.
I had to leave at halftime because I couldn't hear out of my left ear. But I did have a lot of fun.
Ah the beautiful game.
And the beautiful players.... Oh My Uruguay!
Since this is my last photo, I'll wrap this up.
The next couple of weeks are gonna be cray-cray, but I'm really gonna work to stay on top of my blogging.
I will make sure to post photos from my trips to Washington D.C. and Minneapolis.
Love you awesome nerds!
Robert









You're not kidding... what crazy week!!!
ReplyDeleteBTW - Construction workers, repair men, plumbers are never hot. Only in porn movies, which it sounds like your familiar with. :-b
I know, right?! I was really hoping I would at least get 1 hottie to drool over, but alas, no. :-(
DeleteENJOY THE TRIP! IT WILL BE GREAT!!!! Wish I could meet you up there, but I know you'll be way to busy!
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
It will be my 5th trip to D.C. with students. I've had a blast every time and love taking the trip. We will get to meet up some day. :-)
Deleteyikes! I don't know how you DO it!
ReplyDeleteI can think of many times my parents have had credentialing issues - I sympathize with you.
ReplyDeleteOh trust me, figuring out the endorsement conditions in Iowa is an art form. Hopefully it will all work itself out.
DeleteHopefully. lol
Hi, I am a brazilian reader. I am glad that you are following the world cup here in Brazil. Yes, sometimes (or always?) we are a litle loud and boisterous (smiling here :)).
ReplyDeleteNick from Brazil
Hi Nick!
DeleteSo glad you've found my blog. I love following the World Cup and football in general. The Brazilians were very supportive of their team, and if I had ear plugs, I would have been cheering right along with them. :-)
I found your blog long before de world cup via theclosetprofessor blog.
DeleteNick