Me Today
Darkness on the edge
Shadows where I stand
I search for the time
On a watch with no hands
I want to see you clearly
Come closer than this
But all I remember
Are the dreams in the mist
These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away
Shadows where I stand
I search for the time
On a watch with no hands
I want to see you clearly
Come closer than this
But all I remember
Are the dreams in the mist
These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away
"These Dreams"
Heart
Yeah, not my best look, but it was necessary. The wires you see are part of a sleep study that I did last night at the hospital.
I've been having trouble sleeping for a long time now, but I didn't think that I had sleep apnea because Matt never indicated that my breathing stopped while I slept. A few weeks ago I had taken some medicine to help me sleep, and while it should have knocked me flat, I kept waking up throughout the night. My doctor told me that the drug had relaxed me so much that it exaggerated my possible apnea. So we scheduled a sleep study.
I showed up around 9:30 on Friday night for my appointment. The technician showed me to my room and gave me a few moments to get settled and change into my sleeping clothes. Then it was off to get me prepped - this involved taping/gluing various sensors to my face, neck and scalp. I got an idea of what it would be like to be a member of the Borg Collective.
My primary physician prescribed me an Ambien to help get me to sleep. I took it and was settled in for a "good night's sleep". The technician would monitor me during the night and would intervene with a c-pap machine if it was necessary. It seemed like forever, but the Ambien FINALLY kicked in and I fell asleep.
Around 6 this morning, Gabe the technician, awoke me. Evidently I had slept through the night and didn't need him to put the c-pap machine on me. Gabe told me that I did snore (no surprise there), but that he doubted the doctor would recommend the machine for me. His primary recommendation - lose weight. I'll meet with a specialist in a few weeks to go over my treatment options.
On that note, I left the hospital and headed straight to the gym (that was the plan from the beginning). I rode the stationary bike for about 45 minutes and then get a nice hot steam and shower. Small steps Sparks, small steps.
Love you awesome nerds!
Robert

Glad you don't have to learn to sleep with the machine. I imagine that working out will not only help with the weight issue but also tire you out so that you sleep more soundly. A win-win. Plus, the scenery at the gym will be so much better than the tubes and pumps of a c-pap. Unless, of course, you are into tubes and pumps...
ReplyDeleteThe scenery at the gym was certainly nice the morning after the sleep study. There was a hot daddy type two bikes down from me. Got to see him in the locker room as well..... Oh my. :-)
DeleteI've seen those machines that some people sleep in, or have on while they sleep; they're a bit to Hannibal Lecter for my tastes!
ReplyDeleteYeah, not really into the idea of having to sleep with a mask on my head. I think I'd get claustrophobic.
DeleteMy husband uses a cpap and it is a real game-changer for the both of us. He used to stop breathing and then gasp for air multiple times a nice, jerk in his sleep, snore terribly and always felt tired regardless of how much he slept. All that is gone now, so we both sleep better. Good luck with the weight loss, and be careful with the Ambien. Lots of people who take it wake up in the morning with empty potato chip bags in their bed!
ReplyDeleteI only had the Ambien for the one night and it took longer than I expected to kick in. Fortunately I didn't sleep eat or sleep purchase anything. LOL
Delete2 10mg melatonin luckily do the trick for me. You work middle school - you're going to have trouble sleeping! lol
ReplyDeleteOh tell me about it! LOL I had been taking melatonin and had fallen out of the habit! Thanks for the reminder.
DeleteSeems like losing weight is the solution to a lot of problems. Good luck resolving this problem. You'll feel much better in general if you are sleeping well.
ReplyDeleteThe goal is drag my sorry ass to the gym and just make it happen! No excuses, just results :-)
DeleteI need to schedule a sleep study. I know I snore, but no one has ever suggested that I stop breathing, even a friend I would camp with who has true sleep apnea. The CPAP machine saved him! But I don't know if I could possibly sleep with one of those things on. I sleep on one side or the other, switch sides, and typically get up at least once to pee. So I keep putting it off. We shall see.
ReplyDeleteI really should lose the weight. I'll bet that would solve 95% of me snoring and sleep issues.
Peace <3
Jay
Peace <3
Jay
Weight loss is gonna be the biggest hurdle for me, but I really feel like I have to make this a priority for my health.
DeleteI can't tell you how many patients I have seen who (when their sleep apnea is diagnosed and treated) feel so much better for it. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. I'm grateful that I won't need the CPAP machine, but am hopeful the doctor can prescribe something that will help me sleep until I can lose the weight I need to.
DeleteHappy New Year!