Morning
| The morning sun shines on a chair in the waiting room at the doctor's office. |
Steal some covers, share some skin
Clouds are shrouding us in moments unforgettable
You twist to fit the mold that I am in
But things just get so crazy, living life gets hard to do
And I would gladly hit the road, get up, and go if I knew
That someday it would lead me back to you
That someday it would lead me back to you.
That may be all I need
In darkness, she is all I see
Come and rest your bones with me
Driving slow on Sunday morning
And I never want to leave.
"Sunday Morning"
- Maroon 5
This morning was my follow up visit from the sleep study that I did earlier this month. I already knew that I didn't have severe sleep apnea, but I was hoping for some understanding of why I have been snoring.
The doctor told me three things were the probable causes of my snoring - my weight, my palate and my tongue. The weight issue wasn't a surprise to me, and I was pleased to learn that the more weight I lose, the more exponential the strain on my throat will be. I'm teaching growth and decay functions in my Algebra class, so I was chuckling that I had real world example for my kids.
The other two factors were a surprise to me. The doctor told me that my palate was lower than normal and that my tongue was too large for my mouth.
I'll wait for you all to stop laughing.....
Okay. This actually started to make sense to me. I have a tendency to bite my tongue, and hearing that it was too large was completely logical. I asked the doctor if there were remedies for the palate/tongue issue. He told me that there were surgical options, but that the recovery was rough and it was no guarantee to solve the issue. The best option for right now is to work on getting healthy. If the snoring doesn't get better, then we go to look at the other options.
I also had physical therapy for my back this afternoon, so I was only at school for a few periods. Fortunately my student teacher is taking care of most of my classes now, so it made it easy to be out today.
Love you Awesome Nerds!
Robert
I would be scared to death of surgery on my tongue (because I can think of no way to make my mouth larger). Good luck on the weight loss, I know you are dedicated!
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the idea of surgery either! I had sinus surgery about 10 years ago and the recovery from that was miserable! But it did help.
DeleteTwo of those options are horrible! Just get serious and lose the weight. I know it's hard but you can do it. You'll feel so much better.
ReplyDeleteSuggestion: Read book called Volumetrics. Common sense approach that worked for me. I lost 30 lb in 6 mo back in 2003.
Yeah, the weight loss is now a top priority. I'll check out Volumetrics from the library and give it a look.
DeleteSo, they, um, raise the palate and trim the tongue?
ReplyDeleteOw!
Yeah, um, that won't be happening. LOL
DeleteI used to snore so badly people in the monastery would move to a room further down the hall to escape the racket. Losing weight and giving up alcohol (which also helped with the weight loss) made all the difference in the world. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks! The hubby has told me on multiple occasions that my snoring is just too much for him. So putting an end to this is almost as much for him as it is for me.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI hope the back is better by now.
ReplyDeleteThe physical therapy is helping a lot! I'm hoping to only have to go for another two or three weeks.
Delete