Saturday, January 24, 2015

RAGBRAI 2015 - Here We Go

Tonight was the night.

Tonight, the route for the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) was announced.

This year's route will take 15,000 riders 464 miles across the state from Sioux City to Davenport.

RAGBRAI is a week-long, touring bike ride from the Missouri River to the Mississippi River. It's basically a week long party, that makes overnight stops in 6 towns.

This year, the route begins in Sioux City then to Storm Lake, Fort Dodge, Eldora, Cedar Falls, Hiawatha, Coralville and ending in Davenport.

Tradition is for riders to dip their back tire in the Missouri River and front tire in the Mississippi. I'm both excited and nervous as I need to start training now for the July ride. I want the ride to be fun and enjoyable, so I really need to get on the stationary bike now, so that when the weather warms up, I can get on my bike and start riding longer distances!

A rough map of the 2015 RAGBRAI route.
My friend Kevin will be helping me to train and get ready for the ride. There's a lot of planning and preparation that will go into the ride.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress!

Love you Awesome Nerds!
Robert

4 comments:

  1. I really look forward to your reports on this event. I love Davenport. A very dear friend is from there and when he and his husband tied the know, I was in the wedding party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a heck of a ride. 90+ miles a day if it's a 5 day ride, 65+ if it's a 7 day ride. My max was about 50 miles a day, but then I was riding on a mountain bike with hybrid tires, and generally chasing 20-30 boy scouts (think herding cats). This will be a blast, I am sure!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds admirable and exciting. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Spo said !!
    Chip

    ReplyDelete