Friday, February 6, 2015

Makes Me Smile

Makes Me Smile

Harold, Cy and Harold make me smile. 
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you.

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

"Smile"
- Nat King Cole

Today was a long day, for no other reason than I was in a funk.

This was the first time since I've been on anti-depressants that I've been "down". I have to admit, it's been a strange experience. Maybe I'm just coming down with something.

I'm not sure I've written about them before, but the two hedgehogs and cardinal in the photo are our boys.  The hedgehog on the right is Harold (he's Hubbys), the one on the left is my Harold (yes, they are both named Harold). The hubby discovered them when he worked at the University of Iowa bookstore. I saw his and thought he was adorable, so he got me one. The cardinal, Cy, was adopted from the Iowa State bookstore.  Cy is the ISU mascot.

We've had the hedgehogs for close to 20 years. They are our boys and we take them with us when we travel. It certainly makes for interesting photos when we take pictures of them in famous places. I think my all-time favorite was when we sent them overseas with a friend of ours to England and had their picture taken in front of Stonehenge.

I'm headed for a massage in a bit, so I'm hoping that will help my mood. That and a good night sleeps will (crossing my fingers) do the trick.

In the meantime, I'm going to post a video from last year's Emmy Awards of Sara Bareilles singing "Smile".  Hands down it's my favorite version of the song - EVER!


Love you Awesome Nerds!
Robert

3 comments:

  1. You're boys are adorable... what a great family tradition.

    Thanks also for posting the video. I adore Sara... how did I miss this. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hedgehogs. Also, I have friends on meds for depression, and their friends have to remind them that sometimes depression is not chemical but situational or just a sign (as you noted) of another physical issue. It is a trick not to get depressed BECAUSE you feel down. Hope the massage helped. Touch is sooooo good for what ails you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hedgehogs have been my 'totem' since I was a little boy. I have a lot of stuffed ones as well. I relate.

    ReplyDelete