Thursday, October 17, 2013

Spirit Day, Part 2


Both Matt and I wore purple today in support of Spirit Day. 

My day was quite an experience. Yesterday I had mass emailed our school encouraged them to wear purple for Spirit Day. I honestly had no idea what the response would be as it was kind of late in the day when I sent it. I was pleasantly surprised when a good number of my co-workers were wearing purple, including our principal. :-)

During each of my classes I explained why I, along with other teachers, were wearing purple. This also gave me a chance to share a bit of why Spirit Day was personally important to me.  While I wasn't a kid who was bullied because I was gay, it still hurt to hear the words "fag" and "queer" used in a derogatory manner. 

I emphasized that I want our school to be a safe place for ALL students. I truly felt like I connected with the kids and they got to know a part of me that they may not have known.

All in all, it was a good day. 

6 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful example of what a teacher should be. Though I wore purple today, I did not discuss the reason. I wish that I could be open enough to do so. Thank you for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, very inspiring.


    BTW - such a cute couple. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and such a handsome couple! I too wore a purple shirt; bullied myself as a young person, not for being gay but just for being different. bullying of ANY kind sux. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What were your student's reactions to your story? Some laughs? Seriousness? Supportive?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that, and love that the principal went purple, too.

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty darn awesome. If I stilled worked in a school, I hope I'd have the courage to do that!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete