Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Night My Life Changed Forever

Eighteen years ago today I had a dinner date that changed my life.

A few weeks earlier I had placed an ad in the local Iowa City independent newspaper - "Hockey Fan Seeks Same". I mentioned that the kind of guy that I was interested in needed to like country music and college football. I was hopeful, but prepared for disappointment. I also had a voicemail message that I recorded in connection with the ad. I distinctly remember saying, "if you're the kind of person that I would see on 'Ricky Lake', I'm not interested."

A few days later I check the voicemail, a guy named Matt had responded. He actually sounded.... interesting.  I called him back and we chatted for about an hour. We made plans to meet the following Monday (he was going home for the Thanksgiving weekend) at a local restaurant in town.

Now, I have to admit, I picked the place because it was a bit of a sports bar and I thought that if the dinner didn't go well that I could at least stay and watch the Raiders - Chargers NFL game. I even went so far as to wear my San Diego Chargers jersey (the awesome powder blue one). When I was getting ready, I looked in the mirror and thought, "I actually look good."

I showed up at the restaurant and he was already there and seated. Back then, before this whole internet fad, there weren't any photos available, so I had no idea what he looked like. When I saw him, I breathed a sigh of relief because he was good looking.

The whole night was amazing. We talked the entire time and the conversation flowed easily. There weren't any uncomfortable pauses and it felt like I had known him for years. We had similar stories, divorced parents, worked in music stores, sports fans. LOL

Before we knew it, the waitress was giving us the "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here" look. The restaurant was closing for the night and they needed us to leave.

We walked outside and there was a light snow falling. I offered Matt a ride back to his dorm and along the way we made plans to get together the next day. I remember getting back to my apartment building and talking with my friend Rebecca.  I told her, "I really like this guy. He would fit in very well with our group of friends.

We've been together ever since and not a day goes by that I am grateful to have him in my life.

Happy Anniversary Matt.


18 comments:

  1. You're an adorable couple... CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :-) It's been a pretty cool 18 years.

      Delete
  2. I love a story with a happy ending! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I honestly don't know what I'd do without him.

      Delete
  3. awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. spouse and I met thru a personal ad too (pre-internet days). may you and matt have many many many more happy years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I think we still have the original ad around the house somewhere.

      Delete
  4. Happy Turkey Day and Anniversary... sweet story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Turkey Day at a Las Vegas Casino Buffet, yeah, that screams tradition to me. :-)

      Delete
  5. What a great story! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This year's anniversary celebration involved barbecue and college volleyball.

      Delete
  6. AWESOME STORY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jay! We're already working on plans for the 20 year.

      Delete
  7. I love a good romance story! Congratulations. My similar 'date' at about the same time resulted in a friendship that endures but it was me responding to his ad in The Washington Blade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think today's generation understands how important personal ads were. Everything now-a-days is all instant pexting and hookups.

      Delete
  8. I think you left out the part where you did it in the alley behind the bar. In the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saving that story for the book and accompanying LOGO movie.....

      "Minister, Why Do I Feel Funny When I See A Hot Guy In Bike Shorts?"

      Delete
  9. That's a great story. Congratulations Robert and Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Hope all is well out your way. :-)

      Delete