Friday, April 25, 2014

Lies, Damned Lies and......

An "A"!

This semester I have been taking Statistics through our local community college.

I've been taking the class in part to add a couple of endorsements to my teaching license. I had failed Stats during my undergrad days and this was my chance for redemption.

On Thursday night before class, my professor asked to speak with me privately.

Minds out of the gutter guys.

I honestly wasn't sure what he needed to speak with me about, and knowing me, I was expecting the worst.

Boy was I wrong.

He told me that it was his policy to give the student with the highest grade in the class the honor of NOT taking the Final - I was that student.

I was floored. I had worked my ass off in the class and had done well, but had no idea that I had the highest grade (his grading system is a bit of a mystery). He told me that he was very impressed with my work. He said I could have easily just done what was necessary to pass, but instead gave every assignment or exam my full effort.

I do have to attend class on Tuesday and complete the last homework assignment, but after that, I'm done.

He gave me the choice on whether or not to tell the class that I would not be taking the final. I didn't want to be "that guy" (pride goeth before a fall), so I asked him to just keep it between us. If I happen to see anyone from the class after Tuesday, I'll just tell them that I had something come up and I made other arrangements with the professor.

I'm kinda on a high right now.

And it feels good.

Love you awesome nerds!
Robert

17 comments:

  1. I think this makes you the awesomest nerd of all! Congratulations!
    (And I mean nerd in only the nicest, sexiest way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      No problem here with being a sexy nerd. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not quite the sound going through my head at the time, but something to that affect.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I remember how I felt after taking multivariant calculus and getting a B, even though I had to finish the course 2 weeks early. It's a pretty good feeling!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multivariant Calculus? OMG! Maybe someday I'll go on to a higher level class, but after Trig and now Stats, I'm gonna take a little break.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. It's even all the more impressive considering there were a couple of very nice looking students in the class with me - one jock, one bear. Oh the visual distractions! LOL

      Delete
  5. I always loathed any kind of math class but, sadly, was always very VERY good in them, so even in college I was asked to tutor those who needed help.
    Then came Stats and my record was ruined.
    RUINED!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been good in math, but never like the actual "studying" part. In high school I had a teacher tell me, "you'd be a great math student if you would just open the book!" Well, I opened the book. :)

      Delete
  6. What a weird offer. I would think that instructors like their best students to write the exams, because it would provide a barometer of the exam's difficulty (and also a convenient marking key if the student did very well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a surprise, but this professor grades "on the curve", so it might also be a way to help those other students in the class. It wasn't something that was "advertised", so I truly felt it was his way of rewarding a student who he felt had earned it.

      Either way, I'll take it. :)

      Delete
  7. Indeed congratulations! And in stats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or as we called it in college, "Sadistics". I think being 20 years removed from my first attempt at the class also helped. Oh yeah, and actually studying helped. Teehee.

      Delete
  8. Yaaaay! Congratulations! It'll be so nice NOT taking a final.

    He probably grades on a Weibull distribution.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete