Thursday, April 17, 2014

TMI Questions: Tax Time 2014

Special thanks to Sean for posting his weekly TMI questions. They never fail to make me think. :-)




TAX TIME 2014


1. Have you finished your taxes or are you just getting started?

Taxes are done and filed. This was the first year that Matt and I filed a Federal joint tax return and I gotta admit, it was kinda cool.

2. Do you do your taxes yourself or do you use a service?

A friend of ours prepares tax returns for a living, so we entrust our lives to her. LOL. She does great work with our returns and does everything she can to get us the best return possible.

3. How are you at keeping records and receipts?

I am TERRIBLE at keeping records and receipts.  The office looks like a mini-Hoarders episode waiting to air.  

4. How 'creative' do you get?

Not very.  We use the deductions that we are entitled to take, but we don't get crazy with the Cheeze-Whiz.



5. What do you think about the amount of taxes you pay?

Contrary to the Tea-baggers, I'm okay with paying taxes.  I make good money and feel I should pay my fair share to help fun the government.  

6. What do you plan to do with your refund?

Even with the "marriage penalty", we made out pretty well. Our plan is to use our refund on new siding for the house. Not the sexiest thing in the world, but the house really needs it. 
BONUS
Have you ever paid an IRS agent personally?
No, I have not. ;-)

8 comments:

  1. Cheez Whiz must be tax deductible if only I could figure out how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be used in some sort of treatment. LOL

      Delete
  2. I notice that you said your taxes "fun the government." I realize it's a typo, but I like the image it evoked!
    BTW, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am happy to pay the pittance I pay in return for roads and people to plow the snow off the roads and all that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruedian Slip? LOL

      "Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society" - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

      Delete
  3. How ordinary - filing a joint tax return. LUV IT! And I love Christopher Gorham (1st pic) from Ugly Betty, Harper's Island and currently on both Covert Affairs and Once Upon A Time - YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christopher is so adorkable. I saw that pic come up and I knew I had to use it.

      Now why can't I find an accountant here in Ames who looks that hot with his shirt off?

      Delete
  4. Tom and I will be filing our first joint return in 2015. Of course, since Wisconsin is a non-equality state, we will have to jump through a hoop or two in order to file state returns. (If the whole marriage equality issue has not resolved itself by then, of course.)

    Still, what a rush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to filed jointly in Iowa last year, but it was truly special being able to jointly file our federal return.

      I would bet in the next couple of years the SCOTUS will have to rule on the state constitutional amendments. Marriage equality will hit all 50 states soon!

      Delete