Part 1
I passed the first hurdle - the mini test. Once I got home, I looked through information that I was given. First, there was a form for just my personal information. Second was the declaration that I didn't know anyone from a number of different groups. The show works tirelessly to keep everything above board. If I knew anyone from those organizations, including our local NBC affiliate, I would be disqualified from being a contestant. Fortunately I was in the clear.
The last thing I needed to fill out was the "Alex" questionnaire. These are the things that Alex would talk to you about during the short interview should I make the show. The questionnaire listed suggestions of things to talk about - job, hobbies, interests, dreams, embarrassing stories, etc. I made sure to write about my job as a teacher, our collection of hedgehogs, the love of women's basketball and my dream of taking a summer trip to watch a game in every major league baseball stadium.
We were asked to wear something that we would wear on the show. Selecting my best shirt and tie, I made sure I had everything ready and settled in to get a good nights sleep. My interview time was at 10:30 which gave me plenty of time to get ready and drive down to Des Moines. Of course, I was excited, so it took me a little while longer to get to sleep.
The next morning I arrived at the Sheraton in West Des Moines ready to go. Of course I was nervous, but I figured most everyone else there would be nervous as well. At 10:30, me and about 120 other applicants were ushered into the ballroom at the hotel. It was filled with tables facing a big video screen. One thing I noticed was how everyone seemed to be sizing up those around them. "Jeopardy!" only takes the best of the best, and all in that room were trying to figure out who that was.
On the table at my seat was a souvenir pen and a piece of paper with 50 blanks on it. We were instructed to write our names at the top of the page and then given the rundown of what would be happening. A 50 question test would be displayed on the screen. We would have about 15 seconds per question and they would not be repeated. One trick I used was to jot down a simple one or two word clue if I didn't know it right away, that way I could come back to it later.
Once the test was finished, the contestant coordinators would grade our answer sheets while we waited. They do not tell you how many you need to get right to pass. This is for a couple of reasons - first, if someone absolutely nailed the test, there's still not guarantee they make the show and second they don't want people to feel disappointed if they were one or two questions short of the qualifying score. Those who passed the test would be invited to stay for an interview and to play a mock-version of the game. Most importantly, they told us to relax and have fun. And with that, the questions began.....
The test went very quickly and I really wish I could remember some of the questions that were asked, but they were all over the place category wise. Everything from history, pop culture, literature, food, state capitals, etc were included. If you wanna be on "Jeopardy!" your knowledge needs to be as well rounded as possible. After the test was over, they showed a video about "Jeopardy!", but in all honesty, no one was really watching. We were all discussing the test and the answers. I kept thinking, "Man, a lot of people must have done well on this test."
Finally the tests were checked and Robert, the lead coordinator, stepped up to announce the results. He told us that only about 10% of those who take the test actually pass it. He started to read off names and low and behold, I was one of them. YES!
Out of approximately 120 applicants, I was one of 9 who passed the test. I was kinda surprised, but thrilled that I had reached the next phase of the audition. They excused those who did not pass the test and had the rest of us move up to the front tables.
Next up - The Interviews and The Game....
OH MY... how nerve wracking. 9 out of 120... LOOK AT YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete"my dream of taking a summer trip to watch a game in every major league baseball stadium." - how close have you come to realizing this dream?
ReplyDeleteand THEN what happened? only 9 out of 120, eh? you are SMART!
You'll just have to keep reading to find out. :-)
DeleteI've been to AT&T Park, PetCo Park, Kaufman Stadium, Target Field, Wrigley Field, Nationals Stadium, Miller Park, and Progressive Field.
Deletei'm sitting here trying to think about what embarrassing story i'd tell Alex Trebek.
ReplyDeleteNot that there are ANY, but that's there's too many to choose from!
Mine wasn't too hard to come up with. :-)
Delete