Saturday, September 7, 2013

Saturday Fun

This morning I woke up early and wanted to get out to exercise.  Yesterday, I had an amazing session with my personal trainer and I felt amazing. Today, my legs were telling me that I might have overdone it and to maybe take it a little easier.  Originally I had wanted to get out and try to improve my bike time out at the lake - that will wait until tomorrow.  Instead I decided to ride to downtown Ames and take in the Farmer's Market.

There are actually two markets that call Ames home - one downtown, along with a market up near the shopping mall in north Ames.  Personally I think it would be nice if the two markets would just merge, but that won't be happening any time soon (big egos involved...ugh).  The downtown market would give me a farther ride, so I set off on the ride.

The market was in full swing and there were quite a few people there.  After doing a scouting lap, I ended up purchasing some kettle korn, artisan gouda cheese, and some snicker cupcakes to take home with me.  But I was hungry and I found the most AMAZING item for breakfast - Sombas Samosas.  One of the vendors is Indian Palace, a local restaurant.  This morning they were offering Sombas Samosas - puff pastries filled with diced potatoes, onions, peas and spices served with a tamarind sauce.  You get two for $3 and they were so delicious!

At the market I also happened to run into a few former students from my old school.  It was so nice catching up with them and hearing what they are doing in their lives.  I was remarking that it was always interesting that I remember them as little kids.  The oldest of the three students (who's now married!) responded that it was just as strange for them because he remembered being that young student and "looking up to me" - now he's about a foot taller than me.  LOL  Curse my short height!

Following my farmer's market trip, Matt and I headed out to watch a little collegiate volleyball.  Last night, Iowa State played the University of San Diego as part of the Cyclones Invitational (we lost 3-1...boo).  Today San Diego played the University of Illinois in the second game of the tournament. Both teams were ranked and we expected a good match. San Diego is a very well balanced team and their excellent play from last night continued.  The Toreros defeated the Illini 3 sets to 1.

We had another reason to attend the match - the coaches.  Matt has been smitten with Illinois's coach for a number of years and I discovered one of San Diego's assistants last night.  Fortunately, since it was a non-ISU event, we were able to sit VERY close to the team benches and take a few photographs.  :-)

University of Illinois Head Coach - Kevin Hambley

San Diego Assistant Coach - Chris Jackson


6 comments:

  1. I admire your fitness efforts! You're inspirational!

    Those Indian-spiced pastries are also commonly called samosas. My Bangladeshi neighbour taught me how to make an authentic version but I make them quite often for my vegetarian daughter in this simpler way using curry powder.

    But as it's a hassle to roll out pastry, I use filo pastry instead or even torillas (rather like a quesadilla). Instead of deep frying, I make them in a non-stick frying pan in a very little oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddy you're absolutely correct, they are samosas. For some reason I got sombas in my head and put that in the post. I will correct it. :-)

    I was impressed at how delicious they were. When they vendor was describing them, I was a little hesitant and I'm guessing my face showed it. He promised me that I would love them and I DID! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I found your blog today and after reading yesterdays post I went back and read all of your previous posts. I enjoyed reading them. I live in a small town in Kansas, but I was raised in the south and I was brought up the same was as you described. Southern Baptist and all. I am 45, married, (to a woman) and gay. I finally admitted to myself in the last couple of months after I had a life changing health crisis. I am still coming to terms with how life has changed so when I read a blog that lets me know that life can be normal it helps. Thank you and I will look forward to reading more. LOVE AND HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JLO,

      I'm so happy that you found my blog and that my posts have helped. I'm very grateful for all the feedback.

      Coming out is never an easy process and there's no one-size-fits-all guidebook. Being honest with yourself if the first step. :-) You'll find your way and gather support as well. Please stay in touch!

      Delete
  4. I've done arena shows in ISU's basketball arena! Love it! Nice place to do 4 shows in 5 nights for SRO audiences!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been all over haven't you?! Did you do sound work for concert tours? If so, who did you tour with?

      Inquiring minds...... :-)

      Delete