Over Spring Break I lost my glasses.
Somewhere in Utah is a 7-year old pair of glasses that were very loved.
I felt lost without them.
I still miss them.
They were a part of me. Beaten up, legs chewed on mercilessly, dinged in more than a few places. But they were mine and I never felt right when I wasn't wearing them.
Granted, they were only reading glasses for a slight astigmatism, but I quickly got into the habit of wearing them everywhere. In Utah, I set them down somewhere, never to be found again.
Sigh.
Realizing that it had been 7 years since my last eye exam, I made an appointment to get checked out. Fortunately, my prescription hadn't changed all that much and I picked out a pair of Ralph Lauren frames that I really liked.
When the new glasses came in, I tried them on - fit great, but something just seemed.... off.
I put the glasses on at home and everything was blurry, except for things right up close. Aha, they're reading glasses. With my old glasses, I could wear them EVERYWHERE and not have to worry. But these - not happening.
Since I teach, I'm constantly reading and looking up, so these glasses just wouldn't cut it. I made the decision to go..... bifocal. Gulp.
I got the new ones redone and have had them since Tuesday. It's definitely an adjustment period. Things have looked just a little off, but I'm definitely more comfortable with them now.
And they don't look unfortunate on my face.
But I still miss my old glasses. May they rest in peace.
Love you awesome nerds!
Robert


I remember hearing those words: "You'll need bifocals."
ReplyDeleteSad sad day.
But hey, at least I can see everything now!
Your new specs look good!
Thanks for the compliment. Now that I'm getting into my mid-40s, I'm okay with needing bifocals. It's just the adjustment to them that's frustrating me.
Deleteand as you get older, you can discard glasses permanently. I wore glasses from age 12 to 55; no more. never wore bi/trifocals either. no contacts EVAH.
ReplyDeleteI betcha matt makes a pass atcha!
I had Lasik in 2000 and it was the best thing I've ever done in my life. 20/20 vision that day.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm using cheaters...just can't make the eyes any younger. So far I'm OK for reading most things, but tiny little serial numbers and such require some help.
Yours look quite nice!
Peace <3
Jay
I hopefully will never need Lasik as my astigmatism is very slight, but the glasses do take the strain off of my eyes.
DeleteThanks for the compliment. For the amount I paid for them, they better look gooooooood. :-)
Thumbs up... looks good to me.
ReplyDelete...and the glasses aren't bad either. :-b
Aw thanks.
DeleteThey work well with your face. And they do not hide your nice eyes!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. I tried on several pairs before settling on these.
DeleteMy old ones had magnets that held sunglass shades onto my regular glasses. Man I miss those. lol
It's tough getting used a new spectacles.
ReplyDeleteI think getting used to anything new that replaces something that you have used every day takes getting used to. But life's about change, nothing ever stays the same. :-)
Delete