Since it's a nice long Labor Day weekend, I've decided to expand the list I started a few years back. I want to encourage bloggers to share their own soundtrack choices, or maybe even just a song or two.
1. "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart.
The first song of the soundtrack is the #1 song on the day you were born. That song for me is "Maggie May". I gotta say, for a nearly 42 year-old song, it really holds up! Stewart's voice is one that I've thought is so wrong it's right. While I can't say I like all of his stuff, I must admit that I have rocked out to more than my share of his collection.
2. "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister
Absolutely, positively my favorite song of all time. It's cheesy British pop from the 80s and I love every note of it. Swing Out Sister is my favorite group and while there are other songs that I might want to listen to at a given moment, my love for the group began with this ditty. It takes me back to being in high school and all of the good and not-so-good memories.
3. "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael
Simply the best concert I've ever seen in person. I was a senior in high school and George Michael brought his "Faith" tour to Pensacola. It was the final show of the tour and there was no opening act, just 3 hours of George. I had floor seats about 25 rows back and the entire night was incredible. His 2nd encore was "Sex" and I remember him introducing it by saying, "I don't know how many of you enjoy multiple sexual encounters in one night....." The crowd went bonkers. And oh yeah, there was that bootie of his.
4. "Only You Can Love Me This Way" by Keith Urban
Matt and I got married in 2010. We were having quite a time trying to pick out a song for our first dance. We'd hear stuff that we liked, but nothing that just said, "YES!" That was until we heard "Only You.." in the car coming back from a cake tasting. We both listened in silence and didn't say anything for a few minutes afterward. We just knew that was it.
It was a closely guarded secret (two people knew other than us) and for as much as I remember how wonderful that night was. When I think of the first dance, I think of Cy the Cyclone, the Iowa State mascot. We hired him to be at the wedding (we're big Iowa State fans) and he was there during the first dance. I remember him being off to the side, watching up as we danced. He looked as if he was wiping away tears of joy while we were on the dance floor.
5. "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion
When Matt and I first started dating, this was our first "song". Yeah we were two 20-somethings in love and Diane Warren's schlocky, co-dependent lyrics were just enough to top off any romantic evening. I've always loved Kathy Griffin's take on the song. She was attending a Celine concert and hadn't sung the song. She could tell the gays were getting nervous and were verging on revolting. Celine comes out for the encore and starts "For all the...." "The place goes apeshit! Gays were flying around me left and right." That mental image never fails to crack me up.
6. "Always A Woman To Me" by Billy Joel
This one is dedicated to my great-Aunt Betty. She was always the most elegant woman that I have ever known. In 2005, I made the trip to Delaware to see her a few weeks before she passed away. I sat with her and we reminisced about years past. It was truly a special moment for me.
Added to that was a story shared with my by her stepdaughter, Dale. After I had come out in 1994, Betty and Uncle Karl, along with Dale, were having dinner with my grandparents. Both Grandma and Pop Pop were just not sure about me coming out and were worried about things would "look". Betty looked at them both and said, "Get Over It! It's not a big deal anymore." I was never prouder to have her as my aunt.
When I was leaving the care facility, I turned on the car and this song began to play. I lost it. I must have just sat in the car for a solid ten minutes just bawling. I knew I was losing someone that truly meant the world to me. I was so grateful that I was able to say a proper farewell.
7. "Why Georgia" by John Mayer
I've written about this song previously. Hearing it takes me back to my days living in Tallahassee after I had finished graduate school. I was at a crossroads in my life where I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do, where I needed to be, or who I was meant to be with. I had amazing friends in Tally, but in retrospect, I was lonely. Finally being out and wanting to start dating was something I desperately wanted to do (yet dateable guys were few and far between).
This is not to say that I didn't enjoy my Tally days. I have some of the most amazing friends that I made while I was there along with some truly great memories (including one amazing audition for MTV's Lip Service).
8. "Time and Tide" by Basia
Basia is by far my favorite female singer. This song comes from the very first cd I ever purchased. It's amazing it still plays from the number of times I listened to it over the years.
During my junior year of college, my roommate, Mark, and I traveled to Atlanta to see Basia in concert. We had a great time and I will never forget Mark keeping me awake on the drive back with some of the most inappropriate jokes ever.
9. "You've Got A Friend" by James Taylor
In the summer of 1998, my best friend from graduate school, Jennifer, was getting married. I was supposed to fly to Salt Lake City for the wedding. Unfortunately my grandmother passed away and I instead had to head to Philadelphia for the funeral. When I called Utah to let Jenn know, I was wasn't able to speak to her, but to her fiance Kevin. I shared with him that I was truly sorry that I wasn't able to make it and that I was hoping to dance with Jenn to "You've Got A Friend", a song we bonded over at FSU.
I found out a few weeks later that Kevin surprised Jenn during the reception by having this song played. As they danced, Kevin told Jenn, "this is from Robert." I was so grateful that he would make the effort to do that. It's been 15 years and I have yet to make it out to Utah to have that dance with Jenn. I really need to do that. :-)
10. "Vogue" by Madonna
Seriously, how can a gay man have a personal soundtrack list and NOT include a Madonna song?
I chose "Vogue" because of my experience in college. There was a guy who threw the most amazing parties in Montgomery. His name was Bill and he didn't go to Huntingdon, but a lot of students there got invited to his parties. If you got an invitation, you were considered "in". During my sophomore year, I got the invite and I was on top of the world. At the party "Vogue" was played and I remember being on the dance floor (the living room) and having the time of my life. I wasn't anywhere near being out, but that moment was so freeing.
my two songs:
ReplyDelete"I won't back down" - tom petty
in 1989 I was diagnosed with cancer; this song inspired me to fight thru it. and to ditch my now ex-husband.
"tonite tonite" - the mello kings
dedicated to a dear (now deceased) friend
I simply MUST know your connection to the philly area! do I know some of your relatives?
My Dad's side of the family is based around the Philly/Wilmington area. My aunt and uncle still live in West Chester. The rest of the family is now spread around the country.
DeleteI loved your song choices, although I do have to go discover "tonite tonite". :-)
Hugs,
Robert
That's quite an eclectic, and fabulous, mix of tunes!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I really do try to listen to a wide variety of music, but gravitate towards pop. For a number of years I worked for a music retail company (Musicland/Sam Goody) - I have a talent for remembering song lyrics which REALLY comes in handy in a job like that.
DeleteWhen I would do hiring for the store, I would never ask what type of music they listened to ("I listen to all kinds" - duh). I gave applicants the question, "You're on a deserted island with only 3 cds to listen to, what would they be?" THAT told me what kind of music they listed to.
Thanks for the feedback!
Robert
WOW, I'm impressed! Music has always played a major role in my life. Each and every day there is music... at home, in the car... it's always there.
ReplyDeleteI want to play your game, but it's going to take me a while to think about it. Stay Tuned!!!
I would love to read what songs have had an impact on your life! Music is such a unifying force for many of us. It's so interesting that the same song can have such different meanings to people. One song brings back happy memories, while the same song recalls heartbreak for another.
DeleteHave a great Sunday!
Robert
I love everything on your list! I also love the project in general, kids always respond to something that has a direct connection to their own lives, so much more than rote memorization of times tables for a test on Friday. I never understood why the people who write the so-called literacy tests never understood this.
ReplyDelete(You do know you can make these into a playlist in YouTube so you can just hit play on the first one and let them go, right?!)
Cool post! Thanks!
Peace <3
Jay
When I talk with students years after I've had them in my class, they always remark on the projects that were "real world" assignments. Those meaningful projects have a lasting impact so much more than any book assignment or test. They take more time to plan and evaluate, but the rewards as a teacher are soooo much better!
DeleteI didn't know about the YouTube playlist. I need to look into that because I really do love using technology in my classroom. Thanks for the tip!
Best,
Robert
"My Dad's side of the family is based around the Philly/Wilmington area. My aunt and uncle still live in West Chester." - well hell, honey, that's only 1 hour away from me! the next tije you are planning a trip into philly, we just HAVE to make a connection! :)
ReplyDeletesam goody - blast from the past!
I will certainly let you know the next time we are in the area. :-)
DeleteAnd my area, too! Richmond and environs! Love to meet up with you!
DeleteJay
Will do! I may have to make a road trip next summer. :-)
DeleteI love Swing Out Sister! I loved the video too.
ReplyDeleteMost lists say The Supremes were at #1 with Where Did Our Love Go but a few say it was The Kinks with their first #1 You Really Got Me.
That video is so over-the-top 80s (and I love it!). I'm thrilled that you know of them as well. My students always give me a blank stare when I tell them the name of the group. LOL
DeleteThere are a few different sites that have #1 songs. I used the thisdayinmusic.com site.