ROAD TRIP!
1. Pilot or navigator?
I can do either, but if given my choice, I'd really rather drive. While I am a capable navigator, I'm much better at taking direction. Of course now that Matt and I have a GPS system, Andy the Garmin, it makes life a lot easier. All I have to do is punch in the address and off we go. Of course, Andy isn't the most accurate guide. On occasion I honestly don't know if Andy knows where the hell he is going. LOL
2. Were you ever able to read a map?
Oh my God YES! I've been reading maps from a young age. I loved just lying on the floor going through the Rand McNally atlas. I would spend hours and hours just pouring over the pages. Both Matt and I share a love of maps - he always gets the latest state road maps whenever we go to a new state on a trip. For his birthday this year I actually bought him a US Map that was actually voted Map of the Year.
3. Can you sleep or read in a car?
If I'm not driving, more often than not, I'm asleep - especially on a long car trip. I don't know if it's the scenery rolling by, or the hum and rhythm of the engine, but it just lulls me to sleep. Hmm, perhaps I need to do something like that in our bedroom so that it will put me to sleep at night. When I'm not sleeping, I can read in the car. For long road trips I usually do bring a book along with me, but I don't get a lot of it read because..... I fall asleep.
4. Driving in the snow is_________?
Not fun simply because of the people who DON'T know how to drive on snow. I've lived in Iowa for 18 years and have driven through my share of snowstorms. Smart drivers know that you drive slow and steady along with making sure to pump your breaks. What is frustrating about living in a college town are the students from other parts who have never driven in snow. It's exhausting.
5. Music, talk or audio books?
When I'm just driving around town, NPR. At the rural school I taught at for 10 years, I had a 35 minute drive - both ways. To kill the time I would listen to NPR for intelligent conversation. After a day with 7th and 8th graders, I would often need some "adult" conversation.
In my next car I desperately want Sirius radio. The radio stations in central Iowa are what you would generally find in most areas - pop, adult contemporary, rock, country, oldies, classical. I really want a great dance station or 80s. I could listen to cds, but I tend to just go for the radio.
6. Pack a snack or road kill?
Road kill. We almost never plan ahead with snacks. It's just plain easier to stop and grab something at either a convenience store, gas station or fast food place.
7. Direct or scenic route?
As much as I wanna say we take the scenic route, it's just easier to go direct. I will say that I am thrilled when the two routes collide. Last September we attended a wedding in northeast Iowa. The most direct route was also the scenic one as there weren't any major highways. The scenery was gorgeous and I was a little bummed that the wedding wasn't a few weeks later as the leaves hadn't begun to turn yet. The locals told us that it was amazingly beautiful.
8. Car games?
Other than spot the hottie. Nah.
9. Can you fix a flat?
I can change a flat and have done so on multiple occasions - the most memorable being on I-35 headed to Minneapolis. It's not the most fun experience, but yes, I can do it.
10. Have you ever been or picked up a hitchhiker?
Nope. But I have offered (and given) rides to people caught out during a rainstorm. I figure it builds me up some good karma points.
BONUS
Rest stops?
I'll stop at them, but haven't ever had any, um, experiences there. But I have heard stories....
I just LOVE geography. I betcha you would be lots of fun on a road trip.
ReplyDeleteLOVE your answers! So much in common with mine at jayinva.blogspot.com!
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
I never thought of "Spot the Hottie."
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait for a road trip now, even if it's a road trip to work!
I can't listen to NPR mostly because I never time it right. I'm either in the car for too little time or the trip will be long and require "driving" music.
ReplyDeleteI get in all the NPR I can. Well, except for Fresh Aire and This American Life. Those shows drive me batty. LOL
Delete