Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gay Marriage in the Nutmeg State

Yesterday the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that the state must recognize gay marriages. This is a big deal because Connecticut has has had civil unions in place for some time now. But the court ruled that civil unions are not the same as gay marriage and that the state must allow them.  Woohoo!

Now most gay couples in the northeast have simply gone to Massachusetts to get hitched, the ruling in Connecticut does have it's implications. California voters are prepared to vote on Proposition 8, which would overturn the state Supreme Court ruling allowing gay marriage. The Moron, sorry, I mean Mormon church has been pouring millions of dollars into the campaign to pass Prop 8.  It's going to be a close vote and the news that another state is allowing gay marriage may help swing opinion against denying couples in California that same right.  

I'm guessing that I'm going to be up very late on November 4th watching the returns come in. With the presidential election and the various state races, it is going to be a very interesting night.  Just hope Matt and I don't have to move to Canada if a certain candidate wins the White House.  


No comments:

Post a Comment