Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mad Men Madness

Tonight was the season finale of my favorite show - Mad Men (the show that everyone is talking about, yet very few people watch).  For those who have seen the show, they fall into one of two categories - those who LOVE it and those who HATE it.  The one criticism that I've heard from those who don't like the show is that it moves too slowly, and the funny thing is, that's what I love about it.

My brother Mike once said that a good television show is like a great book - at the end of each chapter of a great book you want to get to the next chapter.  Mad Men unfolds slowly and in subtle layers. This is the type of show where you not only have to pay attention to the dialogue, but also to the facial expressions and body language of the characters.

This is one of the few shows that I have ever watched where the characters are, for lack of a better term, real people.  Last week a character was raped by her own fiance and I was devastated.  The last time I could remember getting that choked up over a TV show was when Kevin and Scotty got married on "Brothers & Sisters".  And that was a happy event!

I'm anxiously looking forward to watching the second season again knowing how it ends. I'll be able to look for the little things that have such large ramifications in the end. Mad Men is a great book that I will enjoy reading over and over and over.  Not to mention the joys of seeing Jon Hamm, Rich Sommer and Aaron Staton.

Now I just have to wait three months until Battlestar Galactica's final season.  FRAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment