Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday in Eureka, Illinois

Of all places to be on a Saturday morning, Eurkea, Illinois would be one of the last I would have ever expected to be.  It's a city of 4,900 people and it's version of high class dining is the local Hardee's.  But as it turns out it will be hosting an event I didn't think I'd ever see - a football game involving my alma mater.  

When I graduated from Huntingdon in 1993, the school didn't have a football program.  We didn't even have a basketball program for that matter.  But a few years ago the school started up football after buying the Cloverdale Middle School which is across the street from the main campus.  The old middle school had a football field and why let it go to waste?  After a few years as an independent, HC joined the SLIAC (St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) which has schools in Missouri and Illinois (and now Alabama).  Today, Huntingdon will battle mighty(?) Eureka College at noon.  Huntingdon is 4-0, while Eureka is 2-2.  Hopefully the Hawks will emerge victorious.

As part of my birthday present, Matt and I drove over from Ames last night to attend the game today.  Granted my birthday isn't for a couple of weeks, but when do I get the opportunity to see Huntingdon play.  I'll know at least one person there, as the professor who is in charge of coordinating travel for the school was there when I was enrolled.  There should be a good crowd for the game.  I'll try and post a picture or two when we get home.

Go HAWKS!  Hawk-Em!

On a relate note, it is National Coming Out Day.  While we are at the game today, I'm going to introduce Matt as my partner, as that is what he is! Surprisingly there were quite a few "family" members who went to Huntingdon.  In addition, the college marching band will be there, so there have to be some gays at the game today. (I was a yearbook geek btw, can't carry a tune to save my life!)

No comments:

Post a Comment