Thursday, October 2, 2008

What's It All About?

OK, so this is my second attempt at blogging.  Hence the title - "Second Time Around".  I'm more determined to make this one stick.  

The blog address comes from one of my favorite "Bad" movies - The Avengers.  The bad guy, Sir August de Wynter (played so gleefully by Sean Connery) says -

"Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable."

Being that I'm a math teacher, that quote makes me smile.  Every year I put a different quote related to mathematics on my front bulletin board that stays up there for the entire year.  Of the 8 that I've done, that quote from the Avengers is my favorite.  For those playing the home game, this year's quote is, "Go deep down enough into anything and you will find mathematics."

So who the hell am I?  Well, my name is Robert, I'm 36 years old, born in Jacksonville, Florida.  I was a Navy Brat, so my family moved a lot when I was a kid.  We lived in Jacksonville, Arlington (VA), Norfolk (VA), San Diego.  We finally settled in Pensacola, Florida which is where my mom's side of the family is from.  I spent my four years of high school at J.M. Tate High School (Go Aggies!) and then it was off to college at Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Alabama.  Following Huntingdon, I completed my master's degree in education at Florida State University (Go Seminoles!).  From there, things really got interesting.

I didn't enjoy living in Florida (great state to vacation in, but to live in, well....).  My best friend from college and his fiance were moving to Iowa City to attend the University of Iowa for grad school.  Her parents wouldn't let them live together until they got married, so he needed a roommate.  I wanted out of Florida, so in August of 1995 I moved to Iowa City sight unseen.  I have said this to everyone I have ever talked to about moving to Iowa, "As soon as I crossed the state line, I knew I was home."

2 comments:

  1. Great blog entry. I'm very aware of Huntington College as I lived in Monthomery for several years after graduating from college in Troy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I discovered your blog through BMB. I had sent you an email through the aol address. Did you get it?

    ReplyDelete