Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Wedding Rant

I love weddings.  I enjoy getting dressed up and celebrating two people committing to spend their lives with one another.

I love the receptions - the bad food, the bad dancing, the occasional hot groomsman (looking for a quickie in his hotel room).

I especially love wedding cake.  It's practically the only reason I go to a wedding.

But there's one thing I hate at weddings.

Kids

Yesterday the hubby and I attended the wedding of a friend. It was at a Catholic church, so we were expecting a LONG ceremony.  Fortunately it was only about 40 minutes long.

Not that I was able to focus on any of it.

Throughout the entire service, all I could focus on was the infants and toddlers who were bored and were making loud noises or crying.

I just wanna stand up and yell at the parents to be respectful of everyone else and take their kids out of the room.

Better yet - HIRE A BABYSITTER!

I know the kids are just being kids. I'm more upset with the parents who are under the impression that everyone should focus on their kid and not the "happy" couple.

I mean really, I know our friends are just going to love watching their wedding video and hearing the dulcet tones of screaming kids in the background while they are reciting their vows.

Ugh.

And don't even get me started on kids in restaurants.  That rant will take up a lot more space.

Love you awesome nerds!
Robert

19 comments:

  1. I can (somewhat) understand parents bringing children and even babies to a regular church service. Even on those occasions, many places of worship provide some sort of cry room or baby care so that services are not unduly disturbed. I also know there are plenty of people out there who think hearing crying babies is the most wonderful thing in the world. It takes all kinds. I suppose it may provide a welcome relief from listening to whatever is coming from the pulpit! (And I say that as one who spent decades in those pulpits.)

    On the other hand, things like weddings do seem to call for better planning. I doubt most small children want to sit through a wedding -- even a Catholic one, and heaven help them if it is Eastern Rite! A very thoughtful friend of the bride or groom who cannot think what to get the happy couple might offer to run a childcare activity in some available space in the church, temple, synagogue, whatever. Personally, I would think such a sacrifice would be a wonderful offering.

    But when it comes to weddings, people be totally cray-cray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it comes down to the parents understanding that not everyone loves the sound of a crying or restless child.

      I truly feel for parents who are trying to teach their kids how to behave in public. But for those parents - whether it be at a wedding, restaurant, WalMart, whereever - who just let their little "angels" act like monster, I wanna say, "I do not approve of your lifestyle choice!"

      lol

      Oh I could go on and on and on.

      Delete
  2. Can you imagine how the bride and groom felt? Wait until they get the video and all those noises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I was a parent, this was a pet peeve of mine as well. When we became parents, we were very conscientious when it came to public outings. We were able to distinguish what is kid friendly and what is not.

    I can go on forever on this topic, it boils down to respect. If you are a social family, then you need to teach your children manners and etiquette. Jr. can act crazy at home, but when we're out he needs to be a little gentlemen.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. When the hubby and I got married, there were kids there. The difference was our ceremony was VERY short (15 minutes) and our friends knew how we felt about screaming kids. They were respectful of our day by having their kids behave respectfully for about 20 minutes.

      Sounds like you and the hubby are bringing up Junior right. :)

      Delete
    2. Judging from the responses, it looks like you a struck a chord my friend. ;-)

      Delete
    3. That's what the best blogs do.... encourage civil debate. Whether it be over this, political topics, Yumminess, etc. :-)

      Delete
  4. Don't blame the symptoms, blame the source. Kick the parents out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are parents and there are parents who think their kids are the center of the universe EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY! What? Leave their children with a sitter! No way! Too expensive, not necessary, and besides, why shouldn't our "too young to care" children be a part of the event?!?!?! And how can a fussy infant bother anyone? Their cries are music in everyone's ears!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TESTIFY!!!!!!!

      You are preaching the truth!!!!

      Delete
  6. Agree - the parents should have hired a sitter. Or they could have taken the kids outside. As a parent I've been in situations where my kids started crying and I couldn't stop it -- so awkward and I knew everyone around me was angry. So I have sympathy for parents in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what frustrates me most is when the parents don't do anything when the kids are either crying or climbing all over the place. When the parents actually do take action, then I know that they are thinking of others.

      Delete
  7. kids are a PITA; why do you think I never spawned? that poor couple! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kids are just being kids, it's the parents who need to be supervised.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! No way I could sit through 40 minutes of a Catholic ceremony of any kind let alone with screaming kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it is supposed to be a 'family' event, with kids, crazy uncles and all.

    ReplyDelete